ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Edit this Autoexec.bat?

<< < (4/5) > >>

4wd:
Alternatively:
Download FD12FULL.zip, extract FD12FULL.img, write it to a flash drive using Win32DiskImager, boot it, select the language, then answer No - Proceed to DOS on the next screen.
Either way you will need to modify it to do what you want.
-4wd
--- End quote ---
Its clearly evident from the screen shot tht u're using Freedos 1.0 n the one they r providing is 1.2.
So i believe they did change certain things.
I tried every method.
U should try with ver1.2.
 :huh:
-hulkbuster (August 30, 2017, 07:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

That is the archive for FreeDOS 1.2 is it not?

It boots to FreeDOS from that point you can modify it however you like.  It might be that it loads it all into RAM to run in which case you'll need to modify the image it's running from.  It might be that it runs from the flash drive mapping it as C:

The point is it runs, FreeDOS 1.2, from this point you need to work on it to get it to do what you want.

I have minimal interest in doing searches and combining bits from multiple websites, (something you're quite capable of doing), since there are easier ways to run DOS programs.

hulkbuster:
Alternatively:
Download FD12FULL.zip, extract FD12FULL.img, write it to a flash drive using Win32DiskImager, boot it, select the language, then answer No - Proceed to DOS on the next screen.
Either way you will need to modify it to do what you want.
-4wd
--- End quote ---
Its clearly evident from the screen shot tht u're using Freedos 1.0 n the one they r providing is 1.2.
So i believe they did change certain things.
I tried every method.
U should try with ver1.2.
 :huh:
-hulkbuster (August 30, 2017, 07:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

That is the archive for FreeDOS 1.2 is it not?

It boots to FreeDOS from that point you can modify it however you like.  It might be that it loads it all into RAM to run in which case you'll need to modify the image it's running from.  It might be that it runs from the flash drive mapping it as C:

The point is it runs, FreeDOS 1.2, from this point you need to work on it to get it to do what you want.

I have minimal interest in doing searches and combining bits from multiple websites, (something you're quite capable of doing), since there are easier ways to run DOS programs.
-4wd (August 30, 2017, 08:30 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thank you for taking out time to explain things. So far i h' tried all the tools necessary to achieve n make a live usb freedos.
But its not working , i h' already bricked a 16 gb brand new drive i bought recently.
I do not want to do the same, Rufus kind is little robust in this dept. It promises to make a live freedos but all it does is make an installer.
Win32Disk Imager; i think i used tht once on a 4gb drive. It made it bootable but some spaces were lost in the process. After using the format feature from the window: i was able to use the lost space again. But it lost the ability to recognise itself from the boot menu.
So please do not be angry at my continuous request, u h' helped in the past. But this time its not helping. I m okay with the older lighter ver (Rufus prebuilt).So lets close this case. For now. Let just let it be.
I thought u could do something like this from here.
Like here.
I'll just giveup on tht idea.

Shades:
Thank you for taking out time to explain things. So far i h' tried all the tools necessary to achieve n make a live usb freedos.
But its not working , i h' already bricked a 16 gb brand new drive i bought recently.
-hulkbuster (August 31, 2017, 03:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

Was that device made by SanDisk, by any chance? Because I have several of these with varying capacities that work fine, except for turning them into a boot-able device. And that while using the exact same creation software and/or iso file with a different brand of pen drive results in a boot-able device 100% of the time.

4wd:
Was that device made by SanDisk, by any chance? Because I have several of these with varying capacities that work fine, except for turning them into a boot-able device. And that while using the exact same creation software and/or iso file with a different brand of pen drive results in a boot-able device 100% of the time.-Shades (September 01, 2017, 12:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is true, SanDisk chose to have the flash drives identify themselves as Local Drive instead of Removable Drive for a few years - caused a lot of trouble, only need to have a look across their forums and elsewhere.

That being said, the flash drive I was using above was a 3-4 years old SanDisk Cruzer Switch 4GB and it was working fine.

Case in point:
Edit this Autoexec.bat?

Two 8GB SanDisk Cruzer Switches, bottom identifies as a Local Disk, top identifies as a USB Drive.

wjamoe:
Just to be complete, creating the autoexec.bat file was and is also possible from the DOS commandline (cmd.exe in windows), I do not know if this is true for freedos, though.

COPY CON FILENAME copies keyboard input to filename.

use [Ctrl-Z] after your last character, do not forget an [Enter] before [Ctrl-Z]. 8)

for example

--- Code: Text ---copy con autoexec.bat[Enter]<type here your first line>[Enter]<type here your second line which is verry very very .....................................................................................long I think max 255 chars>[Enter][ctrl-Z]
In case the destination file already exists, DOS asks permission to overwrite the existing file.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version