ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Good programs for helping you manage what programs start with windows?

<< < (3/12) > >>

skywalka:
I know it has been mentioned here before (but not in this thread)

Startup Delayer (http://www.r2.com.au/software.php?page=2&show=startdelay) gives control over the startup process - you can delete entries you don't want, add new entries and also time the startup of applications so that you can introduce a delay during startup if you have a lot of apps trying to load all at the same time.
-Carol Haynes (July 23, 2006, 09:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

I was dissapointed with the interface for this program.

I think a far more practical GUI would facilitate:
1.  Sorting the programs in the order that you want them to start.
2.  Adding a delay time that represents the period the system must wait before starting the next program.  This is because programs hog the CPU for varying periods.  You can measure (& change) the time it takes a program to finish starting & not worry about clashing with other programs in the startup list.

At the moment you must set delay that is timed from the time the system boots up.  If you add a program that you want to start earlier than existing entries, & you wish to keep your system responsive, you must now do this: Manually add the time that the new program takes to start to the entries that start after the new program.  Tedious!

Carol Haynes:
You can manually drag stuff on the time bar at the bottom (rather than entering times) which is a lot easier than manually entering times, though still a bit tedious. I agree that the UI could do with some work - I emailed the author with some suggestions months ago and got no response. Having said that you only really have to tweak things occasionally so it is a one off job - and it does work!

zirouy:
great!

skywalka:
I emailed them too, when I posted here.  No reply for me either, yet.

Jimdoria:
I've used Startup Delayer for years now. I do like it, although certain UI quirks bug me about it.

The biggest one is that during startup, there's a "cancel" button you can use at any time to abort the entire process, but no "skip" button that you could use to conditionally skip a single program and continue your bootup sequence with the next one.

I also use Mike Lin's (mlin.net) Startup Control Panel.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version