ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

[Feature Request] Shortcut to skip current searched directory

(1/2) > >>

david787:
Sometimes when i search for a program or file FARR must go first through the directories that are before the directory in which the searched item is because the directory is after them in the sort order of directories to search. I think a keyboard shortcut will be very useful to skip directory in which i don't want FARR to search. For example, i type a search term and i see in the status bar the current directory in which FARR is searching, and if i don't want to search this directory i press the shortcut and skip to the next directory in the list order, and if i don't want to search this directory too i press the shortcut again and move to the next directory in the order list.

mouser:
That's an interesting idea.. Let me think about it.

skajfes:
I am just wodnering, what is included in your search folders? I am asking because most of the time I don't have time to see what folder is being searched currenlty, let alone pressing shortcuts to skip it.

david787:
I am just wodnering, what is included in your search folders? I am asking because most of the time I don't have time to see what folder is being searched currenlty, let alone pressing shortcuts to skip it.
-skajfes (August 02, 2017, 05:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Some of the folders have lots of files inside and it takes time for FARR to search them. So, instead of waiting for the search to finish i can press a shortcut to skip the folder if i know the searched file is not in this folder.

skajfes:
I have a similar set of folders, but I've taken a different approach, using modifier keywords. That way by default FARR doesn't search those folders, unless I explicitly want to.
So for example my music folder has a modifier keyword "music", and if I want to search music I just append +music to the search. That causes FARR to search only my music folders. Note you can have multiple folders with same keyword modifier, and multiple modifiers for same folders, so this is really flexible.
Similarly I have search modifier keywords for work documents (+w), dropbox (+db), code (+cc), etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version