ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Internet Explorer Smile Always Add-On (Reward: $20)

<< < (3/4) > >>

wraith808:
The hostility is not called for.  It helps if things are communicated in advance of starting into anything difficult or time-consuming and I am sure skrommel knows that as well as tomos and others here.  If he had high expectations for the outcome he might have attempted to ascertain a clearer picture of what was sought.  Non-programmers will not always immediately grasp the concepts behind a software request.  My initial $20 stands as does the $5 for skrommel if he feels it is warranted.  I do appreciate what was done and will pass it along to those who have the interest and knowledge/skill to utilize it.
-silekonn (August 12, 2017, 02:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hostility?  I was just asking the question for clarity.  If that's all that's required, I was considering looking into it.  Was being the operative word at this point.  Best of luck getting what you need.

Deozaan:
I'm puzzled by your defensive response, silekonn. :huh:

he might have attempted to ascertain a clearer picture of what was sought.
--- End quote ---

Which is exactly what wraith808 was doing. And skrommel himself did ask for a clearer picture of what was sought but didn't receive a response for over two weeks:

So you want the extension available on the Microsoft Store, and running in both Internet Explorer and Edge?
-skrommel (July 23, 2017, 06:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Furthermore:

I do appreciate this and will throw Skrommel a $5 spot for his effort.
-silekonn (August 09, 2017, 12:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

My initial $20 stands as does the $5 for skrommel if he feels it is warranted.
--- End quote ---

You have stated that you will donate $5 toward skrommel, so it is my opinion that you should keep your word and do so. And not on the condition that he asks you to do so, but rather because you already said that you would.

We're normally a friendly and welcoming bunch, but please forgive us for being wary of a newcomer who joins the forums, offers a reward for a coding request, lowers the offered amount, and then becomes unnecessarily defensive when asked simple questions (which were asked in an attempt to help fulfill the original request!) and then seemingly tries to weasel his way out of paying even the reduced amount which was promised.

silekonn:
I will try my best to clarify my position.  I responded to the first post within minutes.  Something was created and quickly, for which I again responded in the same day and with praise.

The software accomplished the task in a wider sense.  It doesn't much work in the context 'for charity' which .might. minimally have an implication "for more than one person," for which in some opinions any should.  It is a bit further away when 'extension/add-ons' is included.  That aside, it is an 800KB executable that begins to accomplish a task the referenced items do in between 7 and 37KB without requiring some sort of memory resident executable, its addition to startup items, difficulty with antivirus, the current issue with the repeatedly reloading page unless you go to only amazon.com (a no-go for anyone whose bookmark doesn't say precisely Amazon.com) or etc.

The first post was minimal in part because questions might have been expected.  It is safe to say the solution is a little less than the request, or rushed.  After responding it did not quite hit the mark, the programmer enthusiastically offered something for Edge, "So you want the extension available on the Microsoft Store, and running in both Internet Explorer and Edge?"  That was difficult to understand and creates a sense of caution and puzzlement.  Not having checked or ever truly used Edge, I am aware it has a different codebase and extension/add-on "store."  Why then was it assumed that was now sought?  It creates an underlying concern.

I was unsure how to respond.  When someone else finally stepped in, the effort for Edge was applauded.  It was not in the scope of the project.  It does serve a purpose.  It appears to be a) near a sensible size and b) open source, meaning not something huge, hidden, and too far off target to be used sensible for the original request, if not exact.  Observing it closer now, I will again congratulate skrommel.  Well done.  If you could include some type of self-signature, maybe akin to what "Fernando" does here, it could be a hit already.  If I am showing my ignorance to programming concepts, please disregard this.

After a third party as-yet-unheard from party jumped to its defense it would be safe to say things are not comfortable throwing money at this without some reassurement.  Maybe the original message was so far from what others believe is acceptable the mistake is mine.  The minute description with a concrete reward leaves the belief someone would generally expect a question or two before something is produced.

skrommel had nothing to say.  That may be due to his agreement with the above.  The first code is a great thing for one technically literate person (that feels secure running unknown code 24/7) expecting it might be polished a bit.  It is not a complete solution in the minute context of the original request and the second, while applauded, was difficult to understand the reason behind.  It could be another person busy with life and willing to let a slip-up on both our parts go.

It is not clear and would not feel right without the person who invested actual time minimally explaining if it is my error.  I felt that was relayed in the previous post.  Someone I have no prior knowledge of telling me I should be compensating him does not sit well and now a second party wants me to believe I have erred.

I was seeking software useful to assist a charity and do not believe that goal has been accomplished.I offered a partial reward after I had already said as much.  skrommel, if you feel what was presented was an adequate and complete solution that should be accepted please notify me.

My apologies again if I crossed a line with the community.  I hope clarity exists for why I have not thrown my wallet into this what would be a lions' den.  I would like your opinion skrommel.  Or is there another impediment?

wraith808:
I do appreciate this and will throw Skrommel a $5 spot for his effort.  It is not exactly what is needed.  It has to be something that is a 'one click fix' for the luddites.  If it is beyond the scope of the website or available programmers please accept my apologies.  Edge is a bonus.  Thank you for your patience and the time you invested.
-silekonn (August 09, 2017, 12:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

So basically at this point, you need someone to convert what Skrommel did into a windows store extension and post it on Windows store?  Or is there another impediment?
-wraith808 (August 09, 2017, 01:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's all I posted.  And I just don't get what the perceived hostility was.  I was trying to see what was left to be done, so it could be possibly picked up by myself, or someone else.  And I wasn't even (nor I think Skrommel) looking for compensation.  What you're offering is appreciated, but a pittance compared to the hourly rate/effort put into the project.  We do it because we're interested and want to solve problems.  It seems like you're equating this with wanting to make money, when no one is on here for that.  If they were, they quickly disappear- there's no real money to be made.  It's for fun, for the challenge, and to help.  So anything being asked is under that aegis, and I asked to possibly contribute.  But why get it set up for the Windows store if that's not what you needed.  Which was the reason that the question was asked. This isn't a work for hire site.  I don't know that there have even been any agreements between people based on that, though I don't know the full extent, so maybe there were?  It's a site for software enthusiasts. When I do get money, I look at it as bonus, and a confirmation that I helped someone, not an end game.  The end game is creating something that's useful.

Deozaan:
I am 99% certain that skrommel doesn't care about the $5. He's a very generous person whom I have never known to ask for compensation for his Coding Snacks. But that's besides the point.

My point is that because you said you would pay him $5 for his effort--even though it didn't fit exactly what you had in mind--you should do so. It's called being an honest person who has integrity.

But I don't see the need to harp on the subject any further. We'll let your actions speak for themselves.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version