ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Amazon patents "anti-window shopping" tech

(1/2) > >>

Edvard:
Don't know how they patented a router setting, but:
Having long thrived on shoppers checking on their phones to see if a product is cheaper online, Amazon’s “Physical Store Online Shopping Control” patent aims to prevent you doing just that in a Amazon-run real-world store.

--- End quote ---

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/15/15812986/amazon-patent-online-price-checking

from Packt Dispatch and The Verge

wraith808:
I think you're not getting the implications.  When in the physical store for Barnes & Noble, I sometimes check prices on Amazon.  Same in Best Buy, Costco, etc.  It's usually using the free wi-fi in the store.  This would prevent that while you're in the store and on their wi-fi.  I don't see what the use is other than to piss off customers that are currently on your store, however, as you could just turn off your wi-fi connection and use your cell phone's connection instead.  But there you go. 

Playing the long game to shoot yourself in the foot.

Deozaan:
So is this a defensive patent which Amazon will use to keep benefiting from such behavior? So the likes of Walmart and Barnes & Noble can't stop you from checking the price on Amazon?

I don't see what the use is other than to piss off customers that are currently on your store, however, as you could just turn off your wi-fi connection and use your cell phone's connection instead.-wraith808 (July 16, 2017, 08:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

That assumes you are paying for a data plan. Most people with cell phones probably are, but still... there are some people who don't pay extra for data. :)

Edvard:
I think you're not getting the implications.  When in the physical store for Barnes & Noble, I sometimes check prices on Amazon.  Same in Best Buy, Costco, etc.  It's usually using the free wi-fi in the store.  This would prevent that while you're in the store and on their wi-fi.  I don't see what the use is other than to piss off customers that are currently on your store, however, as you could just turn off your wi-fi connection and use your cell phone's connection instead.  But there you go. 

Playing the long game to shoot yourself in the foot.
-wraith808 (July 16, 2017, 08:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
No, I get the implications just fine, and I believe most folks won't even be aware of what's happening.  They'll probably just accept that when in Amazon (or Amazon-owned franchise), you do as your Amazonian Overlords allow, and won't bother turning off Wifi.  Further, I believe it is a dual-edged sword; like Deozaan said:
So is this a defensive patent which Amazon will use to keep benefiting from such behavior? So the likes of Walmart and Barnes & Noble can't stop you from checking the price on Amazon?-Deozaan (July 16, 2017, 10:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
This is a patent, which means that others can't legally use the same tech without negotiating with Amazon.  That said, a simple router setting would do the same job, which leaves me scratching my head how... I just...  :huh:

On a personal note: To be honest, if I'm in a brick-and-mortar store, I've already done my online homework, and I am there for the express purpose of buying something that I need that day, and I am fully aware that I am paying for the convenience.  On many occasions I have gladly paid Radio Shack (R.I.P.) 5 bucks for a 75 cent part because I needed it today.  No data plan needed.

wraith808:
On a personal note: To be honest, if I'm in a brick-and-mortar store, I've already done my online homework, and I am there for the express purpose of buying something that I need that day, and I am fully aware that I am paying for the convenience.  On many occasions I have gladly paid Radio Shack (R.I.P.) 5 bucks for a 75 cent part because I needed it today.  No data plan needed.
-Edvard (July 16, 2017, 11:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

When I'm in a brick and mortar store, it's usually to spend time out with my family.  My daughter loves to go to Barnes and Noble, and I just hang out and sometimes see something I want, so compare the prices.  Same with Best Buy.  I don't go in to buy, but to browse.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version