ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

external hard drive backups

<< < (2/4) > >>

mouser:
I also use crashplan, btw.

wraith808:
I find it useless and wasteful to back up everything, personally.  I only back up data.  I keep the data localized, and the actual live files are in a onedrive folder, as I get 1TB free.  I also on a schedule, compress the same data to an archive that is moved to my NAS.  I used to back up everything and image it, but when I did need it, I noticed that for the most part it was copying files rather than trying to restore it wholesale- a crash can be a good opportunity for housekeeping.  I will say that I think that even though I get my 1TB per user free through O365 (which I only switched to using when Cubby ceased services), I'm going to pay for something separate.  OneDrive doesn't version, I found out, other than for Office files.

mouser:
The most important thing is to back up your data...

But the pain and hassle and stress that you can avoid by having a full drive image backup is immense.

If you have a recent full drive image and you encounter a complete hd crash or infection, you can be back up and running within 15 minutes of buying a new hard drive.

Without it you are looking at days of reinstalling windows and your apps and then dealing with discovering all the settings and files you forgot to back up.

I think drive images are an essential part of saving your sanity when things go wrong.

Tuxman:
Is cloud storage safe to use?
-techidave (July 09, 2017, 09:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Is storing your files on other people's computers safe to use?

mouser:
Is cloud storage safe to use?
-techidave (July 09, 2017, 09:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Is storing your files on other people's computers safe to use?
-Tuxman (July 10, 2017, 05:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

We live in a universe where one is constantly weighing risks and choosing the best imperfect solution.
No action is risk free.
The online backup tools use encryption to store your files on their computers; they encryption is performed locally and the online service does not have your encryption key, so neither they nor anyone else but you should be able to decryption the contents they store.
You have to balance the risk of something going wrong with that encryption scheme against the risk associated with being burgled, caught in a fire, having a hard drive crash, getting hit by ransomware, etc.  Pick your poison.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version