ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Modern forum software: Discourse

<< < (5/6) > >>

wraith808:
That's yet another problem: You can't have a "web app" in your toolbox. If it's gone, it's gone. No shiny USB thumbdrive will catch it for you.
-Tuxman (June 28, 2017, 08:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

When I said toolbox, I meant the developer's toolbox, i.e. options when deciding what the format of the project will be.  And as far as your actual statement, that's generally true, but not universally correct.  I run a couple of my web apps from a USB drive currently.

Deozaan:
I thought there was not a single human in the universe that thought that the 'old guard forums' were better than Discourse.
-urlwolf (June 28, 2017, 05:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

For what it's worth, I think I'd prefer Discourse over SMF.

I say think because DC is pretty much the only place on the internet that I regularly participate in the forums, so I have very little, if any, actual experience with Discourse. But it looks nice and useful to me. :Thmbsup:

wraith808:
I thought there was not a single human in the universe that thought that the 'old guard forums' were better than Discourse.
-urlwolf (June 28, 2017, 05:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

For what it's worth, I think I'd prefer Discourse over SMF.

I say think because DC is pretty much the only place on the internet that I regularly participate in the forums, so I have very little, if any, actual experience with Discourse. But it looks nice and useful to me. :Thmbsup:
-Deozaan (June 28, 2017, 12:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

It looks cool, and is very tempting.

But once you get involved (at least, once I got involved), I realized that change for the sake of change is not necessarily for the best, no matter what kind of cover they put on it.  First of all, its ruby on rails, which is only a consideration for the admin, but from someone that tried to implement it, unless your server already support RoR, you're in for a hard row to hoe.  It has some really compelling features- but I think most of them are build into this iteration of SMF on DC, in some shape.  One of the things that people tout is the inline conversations, but I think with DC's ability to highlight and quote, and no infinite scrolling, it's not really needed.  I do like the look at feel of the front page a bit more, but it gets overwhelming with the infinite scroll.  To me, the delineation between boards and such are a lot more nebulous- it's made a lot more to be a flat forum, which I personally dislike.

The biggest thing to me, is that when you ask people why these new forums are better, it's not about the features, it's the glitz.  Because when you look at it, a forum is meant to be a place to facilitate discussion, and none of those features are standouts that would make them truly a different paradigm.

Target:
The biggest thing to me, is that when you ask people why these new forums are better, it's not about the features, it's the glitz.  Because when you look at it, a forum is meant to be a place to facilitate discussion, and none of those features are standouts that would make them truly a different paradigm.-wraith808 (June 28, 2017, 12:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

exactly - so much focus on 'appearances'.  And I feel that a lot of 'web app's' fall into this category as well (it's 'the thing to do')

IainB:
Potentially relevant regarding modernity and code: I just read about an interesting talk given at PyCon 2017. The video and transcript are on a blog, here: MAKE THE WORLD BETTER? REMOVE SOME JAVASCRIPT.

Might be worth a look/read.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version