ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Developers who use spaces make more money than those who use tabs

(1/7) > >>

Edvard:
The title says it all.  I'm not any good at analyzing data, but it's all there for those wishing to take a crack at it:

Do you use tabs or spaces for code indentation?

This is a bit of a “holy war” among software developers; one that’s been the subject of many debates and in-jokes. I use spaces, but I never thought it was particularly important. But today we’re releasing the raw data behind the Stack Overflow 2017 Developer Survey, and some analysis suggests this choice matters more than I expected.

--- End quote ---

https://stackoverflow.blog/2017/06/15/developers-use-spaces-make-money-use-tabs/

from Stack Overflow blog

KynloStephen66515:
Obligatory 'Wat?"

Shades:
Spaces. Of course.

And each time a "tabbed" file is encountered, every tab is converted to 4 spaces (which would be the follow-up for the 'spacers' among us)!

Deozaan:
I was taught to use spaces, and had done so for years. But then a couple of years ago I actually thought about it instead of just dogmatically accepting what I was taught and I came to the conclusion that tabs are better because they give more choice to each individual.

But that's for my code on my projects. If I were doing a group project where the lead maintainer or whatever had coding style guidelines insisting to use spaces, I'd happily use spaces on that project.

It doesn't really matter to me, but it seems ideal to let each person decide their preferences for how much to indent a line with the configurable-width tab rather than force your preference on others by using spaces.

Which is not to imply that people who prefer spaces also do so only because that's what they were taught and never applied critical thought to it. I'm just saying that, at least for now, I'm convinced that using tabs is superior to using spaces. And I'm not aware of any argument or reason why spaces are objectively better than tabs for indentation.

Unless, I suppose, if you count people using spaces making more money as an objective reason spaces are better than tabs.

KynloStephen66515:
What about people who use auto-indentation?

Or god forbid.....those who don't indent at all *shudders*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version