ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

win32pad (editor) windows are suddenly all set to "always on top"! How to fix?

(1/3) > >>

brotherS:
I like to use win32pad (http://www.gena01.com/win32pad/). It's fast, lightweight, has all the basic features I need (and hasn't been updated in 10 years... Sad!)

Since a few days ago, *all* win32pad windows are suddenly set to "always on top" when I open them! Even after rebooting Windows. I have no idea how that happened. How can I fix that? Currently, I'm using AutoHotkey (WinSet) to manually (temporarily) fix it, but that is quite annoying.

MilesAhead:
It sounds like you may have picked up some prankware.  Have you done any scans such as Malwarebytes anti-malware?  I am not familiar with that editor but if it uses an .ini file to save settings it is possible the value could have changed somehow.

If there are no malwares found a reinstall(if it is the installer version) may clear it up.
Also if you are running any kind of window management utility such as WinSize2 or similar a change could have occurred there somehow.

Edit:  by the way, what version of Windows are you running?  Windows 8.x and later has the Desktop as sort of a child window(anything that has that new fangled Start Screen the Desktop has quirks.)  Sometimes running the program As Administrator can get around it.  No idea why the sudden change though unless you picked up some prankware.

wraith808:
I like to use win32pad (http://www.gena01.com/win32pad/). It's fast, lightweight, has all the basic features I need (and hasn't been updated in 10 years... Sad!)

Since a few days ago, *all* win32pad windows are suddenly set to "always on top" when I open them! Even after rebooting Windows. I have no idea how that happened. How can I fix that? Currently, I'm using AutoHotkey (WinSet) to manually (temporarily) fix it, but that is quite annoying.
-brotherS (May 30, 2017, 06:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

Is it only for Win32Pad?

brotherS:
Is it only for Win32Pad?
-wraith808 (May 30, 2017, 08:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes.

It sounds like you may have picked up some prankware.  Have you done any scans such as Malwarebytes anti-malware?  I am not familiar with that editor but if it uses an .ini file to save settings it is possible the value could have changed somehow.

If there are no malwares found a reinstall(if it is the installer version) may clear it up.
Also if you are running any kind of window management utility such as WinSize2 or similar a change could have occurred there somehow.
-MilesAhead (May 30, 2017, 07:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've used Windows' built-in thingy to do a full scan yesterday, but it only found something ugly in a completely unrelated installer that I downloaded many, many years ago and never executed (yay!).

The weird thing is: when I ran win32pad again just now, the problem was gone! After being there for days... just gone! How weird is that?!? :huh: (I've literally done nothing at/ with my PC since my post above, just switched off the monitor.)

I'll keep you posted if it comes back.

Edit:  by the way, what version of Windows are you running?  Windows 8.x and later has the Desktop as sort of a child window(anything that has that new fangled Start Screen the Desktop has quirks.)  Sometimes running the program As Administrator can get around it.  No idea why the sudden change though unless you picked up some prankware.
-MilesAhead (May 30, 2017, 07:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Windows 10.

brotherS:
Aaaaand the problem has returned.  :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version