ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > ProcessTamer

when Explicit Rule set to Force Low, application still running at 90% cpu...

<< < (3/3)

f0dder:
I'm more interested in arguments for limiting a process in using the available cpu power. Do you buy a car with hundreds of hp, just to keep the hand-brake on all the time to get a slower acceleration?-Ath (May 28, 2017, 01:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
I guess it could be useful in a few scenarios for keeping the thermal output lower - like if you have a long-running job on your laptop that you don't need finished as fast as possible, and would rather not get it running blisteringly hot?

antekgla:
I'm more interested in arguments for limiting a process in using the available cpu power. Do you buy a car with hundreds of hp, just to keep the hand-brake on all the time to get a slower acceleration?-Ath (May 28, 2017, 01:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
I guess it could be useful in a few scenarios for keeping the thermal output lower - like if you have a long-running job on your laptop that you don't need finished as fast as possible, and would rather not get it running blisteringly hot?
-f0dder (June 04, 2017, 09:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

In my case, I only have one machine so if I want to re-encode a video I dont want to make my machine useless for several hours until my re-econde finish, so I use BES to limit -30% the Vidcoder process, so it use only 60% of my processor instead 100% and I can use my machine meantime.

Besides as f0dder says limiting CPU in process what usually take ALL (100%) of your processor helps to maintain the temperature down.

f0dder:
For video encoding, if you're not worried about temperature, just setting the encoder process to a low priority should still keep the machine usable, though.

Shades:
Since I have ProcessLasso installed, my computer remains quite usable during video-encoding. For my video-encoding tasks I use VidCoder (a Handbrake fork with an easier interface). And I must say that it a quite well-behaved video-encoder, because if you would start other tasks, the resource consumption from VidCoder would reduce and allow those other tasks to be executed without too much of a hassle.

A few days ago, there was an offer to get ProcessLasso Pro v9.0 for free, so I installed it again and usability did improve more.

Perhaps it would be an option for you to use a more well-behaved video-encoder and in combination with your BES installation you have a (much) more usable system too.

My video encoding tasks usually entail ripping my DVDs with the x265 (HEVC) encoding format or re-encoding previously ripped x264 content in case the DVD became unreadable in the mean time. VidCoder does an excellent job in both use-cases.     

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version