ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > ProcessTamer

when Explicit Rule set to Force Low, application still running at 90% cpu...

<< < (2/3) > >>

wraith808:
I'm more interested in arguments for limiting a process in using the available cpu power. Do you buy a car with hundreds of hp, just to keep the hand-brake on all the time to get a slower acceleration?
What process-tamer does is the most sensible: give a cpu-hog a lower priority so other processes get a fair chance of getting their work done. And while others demand no cpu-cycles, keep the hand-brake off and let it run free.
-Ath (May 28, 2017, 01:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

One use case that I've run into, is that if the CPU is higher than a certain %, the OS becomes unresponsive.  The ability to limit processes that hog the CPU to a certain limit would be quite useful.  I've had AV when running, and nothing else is running, even when set to a lower priority, be unresponsive.  Then when you attempt to do something else, because nothing else is running, the priority makes no difference in the responsiveness.

Ath:
I've had AV when running, and nothing else is running, even when set to a lower priority, be unresponsive.
-wraith808 (May 28, 2017, 07:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
That is most likely explained by the security level of the level-0 drivers most AV software is using for their scan... I've (also) never been successful in lowering the priority of the AV I was using at any time.
For regular applications ProcessTamer should be adequate.

wraith808:
I've had AV when running, and nothing else is running, even when set to a lower priority, be unresponsive.
-wraith808 (May 28, 2017, 07:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
That is most likely explained by the security level of the level-0 drivers most AV software is using for their scan... I've (also) never been successful in lowering the priority of the AV I was using at any time.
For regular applications ProcessTamer should be adequate.
-Ath (May 29, 2017, 01:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

That was just one use case.  I have others I've experienced, especially when dealing with compilers.

antekgla:
Hello,

I appreciate your prompt response.

Yes, your explanation does make sense.

I was looking for a utility that would not allow any specific cpu process over a maximum percentage, say 60%.

Might you have a suggestion ??

Thank you.

Richard
-mathisonrichard (May 28, 2017, 12:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

Your best bet for this is BES

wraith808:
Hello,

I appreciate your prompt response.

Yes, your explanation does make sense.

I was looking for a utility that would not allow any specific cpu process over a maximum percentage, say 60%.

Might you have a suggestion ??

Thank you.

Richard
-mathisonrichard (May 28, 2017, 12:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

Your best bet for this is BES
-antekgla (May 31, 2017, 12:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

That is cool!  Thanks for sharing!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version