ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How can I identify a flashing DOS window?

(1/3) > >>

kalos:
hello!

I get randomly a flashing DOS window that I can barely see. Is there a way to identify which process does that?

I did scan my laptop with MalwareBytes and it found nothing, but I am worried.

thanks!

Shades:
Did you install software recently?

Remove it and try to detect the flashing DOS window again.
- If you do not see this flashing window anymore, it is safe to assume that this software was the culprit. And you should investigate what that latest piece of software is doing in the background. And find alternatives for this piece of software.
- If you keep seeing the flashing DOS window, repeat the step above with the latest software you installed -1

This is the 'elimination' process.

Or you can use:
- JRT
- AdwCleaner
- RKill
- ComboFix

Those will kill whatever your antivirus software and/or anti-malware software miss.

mwb1100:
This may have some ideas to help:

- Is there any tool to log create process activity in Windows

x16wda:
This may have some ideas to help:

- Is there any tool to log create process activity in Windows

-mwb1100 (May 28, 2017, 05:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sysmon would work but has a huge log for you to dig through. I have used the History feature in System Explorer to find that type of info before, it's less to dig through and may be enough. Sample of the display (which can also be saved in a history text file):

How can I identify a flashing DOS window?

kalos:
I think the mysterious DOS flashing window must be one of these:
officebackgroundtaskhandler.exe
ipoint.exe
conhost.exe

I do think that I get this annoying DOS flashing window after I opted to install some MS Office updates.

Any hint?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version