topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 2:49 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Feature request: Use mouse button to take a screenshot/capture  (Read 3088 times)

Asimuz

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for a great product, I have tried several different ones and yours is a piece of art - great work!!!

I take several screen captures daily and would be pleased if there was a functionality to use a mouse button to take a screenshot/capture.

In my case I prefer to use "Region" but I believe this could be applicable to several/all of the alternatives (could be choosen in the settings).

The use case would be:

I find the top left corner of the region I want to use and I press and hold a mouse button (mouse button & time to hold is set in settings) to start a screenshot/capture (similar to the mouse button settings in the application "Clipdiary").
or
I find the top left corner of the region I want to use and I press for example the middle mouse button to start a screenshot/capture.

This would eliminate the need to use the optional quick-capture bar or the configurable system tray icon.
I believe it would be a more efficient way to start a screenshot/capture, and in my case with 6-screens (currency trader) it would be magical :-)

Asimuz

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Feature request: Use mouse button to take a screenshot/capture
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 12:24 PM »
Another possible change, probably a really small one to implement is to be able to "shrink" the optional quick-capture bar even more.

To be able to only have a button "Capture" that is configurable in the settings (to choose type of capture).

To be able to have only a button, maybe even set the size in the settings (as small as possible :-)), it will only be taking a really small area of space on the screen (not being in the way for other important stuff beneath).

Thanks again for a great product!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 01:15 PM »
Welcome Asimuz, and thank you for the kind comments.

There are a bunch of options to help you minimize the size of the Quick Capture bar -- see the preferences tab labeled "Quick Bar and Post Cap"  -- the top half of that is all about removing stuff and making it smaller.

Now as for your idea to just use a mouse to do the captures.. I might revisit that when I overall the hotkey settings sytem to allow more flexibility there.
BUT, in the meantime, what you probably could do is find a 3rd party mouse "gesture" type program that lets you trigger certain hotkeys when you do certain things with the mouse.
Perhaps others can recommend such a tool.  And do let us know if you find one that does what you need!

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 02:44 PM »
what you probably could do is find a 3rd party mouse "gesture" type program that lets you trigger certain hotkeys when you do certain things with the mouse.
Sounds like Just Gestures would fit that task just nicely. (Freeware, no longer maintained)
When in need of a little more power and possibly support, StrokesPlus should be a candidate. (Freeware, Lua-scriptable) (Both: no connections, just did a google search ;))