ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Massive vulnerability in Windows Defender leaves most Windows PCs vulnerable

<< < (3/5) > >>

wraith808:
Many thanks, Deozaan. I've now checked. The version number is way out of date, but apparently I succeeded in turning WD off when I installed Kaspersky and did not succeed in turning it back on when it kept nagging at me to do so. So Windows Defender is turned off. I'm assuming that means that it hasn't been scanning anything and won't be doing so, and thus it will not be vulnerable to the malware threat in question. If I'm wrong, I hope someone will let me know.
-cyberdiva (May 23, 2017, 07:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

The fact that you aren't running/updating it doesn't have relevancy in many cases with these kinds of vulnerability.  It might in this case, but I wouldn't depend on that.

Stoic Joker:
Many thanks, Deozaan. I've now checked. The version number is way out of date, but apparently I succeeded in turning WD off when I installed Kaspersky and did not succeed in turning it back on when it kept nagging at me to do so. So Windows Defender is turned off. I'm assuming that means that it hasn't been scanning anything and won't be doing so, and thus it will not be vulnerable to the malware threat in question. If I'm wrong, I hope someone will let me know.
-cyberdiva (May 23, 2017, 07:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

The fact that you aren't running/updating it doesn't have relevancy in many cases with these kinds of vulnerability.  It might in this case, but I wouldn't depend on that.
-wraith808 (May 23, 2017, 07:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Me either, if something that accessible is left outdated and dormant it would be way to tempting a target to get overlooked for long.

cyberdiva:
--- End quote ---
As I understand it, the problem comes when WD scans objects and gets infected. If I have WD turned off so that it doesn't run, how am I still vulnerable?

wraith808:
--- End quote ---
As I understand it, the problem comes when WD scans objects and gets infected. If I have WD turned off so that it doesn't run, how am I still vulnerable?

-cyberdiva (May 25, 2017, 11:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just because that's the use case that has been outlined, it doesn't mean that there cannot be an exploit that is found that is outside of the problem report use case (i.e. reactivating WD and exploiting the vulnerability).  Fact remains, it's an unpatched vulnerability.  As I said, I wouldn't depend on that.  But it's completely up to you to evaluate the risk and whether or not you are comfortable with it on your machine.

cyberdiva:
Thanks Wraith808.  I was somewhat confused about what would make Windows Defender up-to-date. I downloaded the most recent antispyware definitions, but there was nothing said about an update to the engine. However, I've now checked, and apparently the most recent antispyware definitions also updated the engine, since it's now said to be version 1.1.13704.0.

Thanks for encouraging me to get the update.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version