ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Lemon - Encrypted, Distributed, Decentralized Email

<< < (3/4) > >>

Tuxman:
You don't know about Gmail?
-Deozaan (May 08, 2017, 02:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Gmail is not a mail server software.

Deozaan:
You don't know about Gmail?
-Deozaan (May 08, 2017, 02:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Gmail is not a mail server software.
-Tuxman (May 08, 2017, 02:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Neither is Lemon. It's an email service provider, which is what I was talking about when I mentioned email content being scraped.

Tuxman:
So your quote was wrong in the first place. My own mail server

* has no content scraping,
* has unlimited users for less money per month,
* grants me full and open source end-to-end encryption,
* can also handle my mails to mom.
The only thing it doesn't have are buzzwords like "zomg blockchain". Because, really, WTF.
Enjoy your inferior third-party service, dudes.  8)

Deozaan:
So your quote was wrong in the first place.
-Tuxman (May 08, 2017, 02:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

This quote (with plenty of context around the "scraping your email content" that this discussion is in response to)?

I think this is a pretty clever new email service.

First of all, Lemon features end-to-end encryption so that no one--not even Lemon engineers--can read the content of your emails, except of course you and the intended recipient. No scraping the content of your emails to better advertise to you or gather personal/private information. In fact, there are no ads in your email period. "The way it works is that the passphrase you use to unlock your emails is not saved anywhere / on our server and therefore even our engineers cannot read your emails. (Don't forget your passphrase!)"
-Deozaan (May 06, 2017, 12:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

What part of that mentions SMTP/IMAP? Other than saying the password isn't saved on their servers, no part of that description of Lemon refers to "servers" at all. I was clearly talking about a "new email service."

Tuxman:
What part of that mentions SMTP/IMAP?-Deozaan (May 08, 2017, 05:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

I guess the "email" part.
Because, you know, an e-mail service without support for SMTP and IMAP (or POP3 (lol POP3)) won't really serve any e-mails.

From what I can see, Lemon is "a blockchain" which can also speak IMAP/SMTP over servers when required. Sorry, but there is no way to send a valid e-mail without a valid e-mail server. The website is incredibly shady about that. I can understand why.

Security by obscurity, huh? Come on, trust them!  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version