ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Lemon - Encrypted, Distributed, Decentralized Email

<< < (2/4) > >>

Deozaan:
When I visit their site it says "price of one pizza a month."  :tellme:
-rgdot (May 06, 2017, 02:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Looks like they've updated their website. Now I wish I had taken a screenshot so I could prove that even though I may be crazy, I didn't hallucinate that it did say cappuccino!

If I correct their website English, well I found only 2 errors on the home page, will I get a discount?
-rgdot (May 06, 2017, 02:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

:P Seems they're founded in Belgrade, so English isn't their first language.

Ath:
so I could prove that even though I may be crazy, I didn't hallucinate that it did say cappuccino!
-Deozaan (May 07, 2017, 03:42 PM)
--- End quote ---
I've read that too, so I can be your witness ;)

hamradio:
The one thing that puzzles me is they claim it's all "at the price of one cappuccino a month" but the pricing plans page says it's $20/mo. That sounds like one expensive cappuccino to me!
-Deozaan (May 06, 2017, 12:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

It still says that if you view the source and look at the description in 2 spots.

Lemon - Encrypted, Distributed, Decentralized Email

Tuxman:
I think this is a pretty clever new email service.-Deozaan (May 06, 2017, 12:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

No, it's not.

First of all, Lemon features end-to-end encryption so that no one--not even Lemon engineers--can read the content of your emails, except of course you and the intended recipient.-Deozaan (May 06, 2017, 12:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

PGP is not a new thing and does pretty much exactly this.

No scraping the content of your emails to better advertise to you or gather personal/private information.-Deozaan (May 06, 2017, 12:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Nor does any mail server software I know.

In fact, there are no ads in your email period.-Deozaan (May 06, 2017, 12:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hooray, I guess.

"The way it works is that the passphrase you use to unlock your emails is not saved anywhere / on our server and therefore even our engineers cannot read your emails. (Don't forget your passphrase!)"-Deozaan (May 06, 2017, 12:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Have I mentioned PGP yet?

Secondly, Lemon is powered via IPFS[1] and Ethereum's blockchain technology.-Deozaan (May 06, 2017, 12:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Bingo!

This allows Lemon to be decentralized. (...) In fact, there is no server at all.-Deozaan (May 06, 2017, 12:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's not how SMTP/IMAP works. But if that's all that matters to you: There are roughly 5734265 different messengers based on "decentralized" infrastructure.

The future of the internet, using P2P/distributed technologies such as IPFS and Ethereum, is developing into something really amazing. :Thmbsup:-Deozaan (May 06, 2017, 12:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

I seriously hope they'll claim bankruptcy next week.

Deozaan:
No scraping the content of your emails to better advertise to you or gather personal/private information.-Deozaan (May 06, 2017, 12:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Nor does any mail server software I know.
-Tuxman (May 08, 2017, 01:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

You don't know about Gmail?

so I could prove that even though I may be crazy, I didn't hallucinate that it did say cappuccino!
-Deozaan (May 07, 2017, 03:42 PM)
--- End quote ---
I've read that too, so I can be your witness ;)
-Ath (May 08, 2017, 01:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks!

Still, even with it saying pizza, that's an expensive pizza when you can get the "cheap and fast" pizzas for $5. Or bigger ones with more toppings for $10-15. If they said "all for the price of a movie ticket with maybe a small drink and/or popcorn" then the $20 would make more sense. :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version