ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Mouser's Zone

Bug report: automatic screenshotter stops

<< < (3/5) > >>

wraith808:
Have you checked the Event Viewer to see if there might be some other information there?

kmatzdorf:
I will download process explorer and take a look at all of these things and report back here.   I have not looked at the event viewer, but I will do that, too.

kmatzdorf:
Nice call, @worstje!!  GDI handles definitely seems to be the problem.  It just hung again, and I ran process explorer and it says GDI Handles = 9,999.  I bet the limit is 10,000.

Hope that helps you track down the problem, @mouser!  Let me know if any other information would be useful.

mouser:
Ok looks like I have a GDI leak.. let me see if I can track it down..

worstje:
Yeah, I think 10k is the limit in recent versions of Windows per application. Back in the 9x days, I think the limit was 1024 or something, so go figure. Since they are per-session identifiers and very archaic beasts that date back to the Windows 3.1 era, there's only 16 bits (~=65535) of them total for your entire login session. So six programs that all try to max out the GDI handles will without a doubt give you this crazy madness. (Look into the testlimit tool from Sysinternals, it can do exactly this. :D)

Honestly, it is already highly extravagant to have 500 GDI handles in a single process imho, because you can (roughly) equate it with using 500 pencils at the same time. To stick with the comparison: it makes sense not to always put the pencil you are using back into the pack because you know you'll need it again in a moment... but in this case, the program keeps taking pencils out of the pack and dropping them on the desk for re-use.. which never happens. And then suddenly, there's more pencils than desk, and no more work can get done... which is why pretty much anything involving traditional graphics tends to die the moment you run out of GDI handles: windows don't get drawn, menus fail to draw properly, random stuff has black or white squares or whatever..

TL;DR: GDI handle excesses are probably my favorite kind of 'traditional' bug because as much of a pain as it can be to find the source of the leakage, the utter chaos is such a nice change of pace.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version