ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Antivirus

(1/2) > >>

Mikekolly:
Does discount coupon worth the subscription? Actually I found https://www.couponbuffer.com/coupons/avira/ is offering discount on Avira antivirus but I'm not sure if I would get the full features of Avira nor not.

IainB:
The question would seem to be kind of academic, since you don't need to pay for a very good  - possibly the best - AV (antivirus) software, given that there's a perfectly good free one that comes bundled with Windows 10 in Windows Defender.
Windows Defender includes a Firewall and an AV (which was previously named MSE - Microsoft Security Essentials). All you need to do is enable that AV in the OS, and away you go. However some OEM installations actually disable the MSE component, and nag you to pay for a pre-installed AV package (Norton/Symantec seem to be notorious for doing that). Maybe that is happening in your case.
If it is what is happening in your case, then you will probably first have to remove all traces of Norton/Symantec or whatever you have, before the MSE AV can be enabled. That was what happened with one of my laptops, at any rate. I used RevoUninstaller ($FREE version) to uninstall any proggies related to "Norton" " or "Symantec", then I used Everything to search up all left-over files/folders related to "Norton" " or "Symantec" (including in the Windows Store cache) and deleted them, then ran CCleaner ($FREE version) to remove any left-over Registry hooks. Those AVs were almost as bad as a virus/malware.

As @f0dder wrote in reply to your question in the thread Re: Windows 10 Privacy Concerns
What antivirus I can for my windows 10 Privacy and protection?-Mikekolly (April 19, 2017, 01:03 PM)
--- End quote ---
Just stick with Windows Defender for AV - possibly supplementing with MalwareBytes AntiMalware - but read this.

As for "privacy", you might want to read this. O&O Shutup10 doesn't seem too bad, though.
-f0dder (April 20, 2017, 03:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

- where your question was:
What antivirus I can for my windows 10 Privacy and protection?
-Mikekolly (April 19, 2017, 01:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

@f0dder's advice is very good in that it seems to be consistent with the discovery/experience of many Windows PC users in this forum (i.e., it is not just an unfounded opinion). If you search the discussions in the forum, you will find various useful threads on MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) and MalwareBytes.

Of course, if you want to, or prefer to pay for an AV proggy such as Avira, then go ahead - knock yourself out - but then, why worry about the value of a discount coupon for an Avira subscription?    :tellme:

Mikekolly:
Oh, windows defer is enough!
Thanks Iain for the advice.

Ath:
Oh, windows defender is enough!
-Mikekolly (April 24, 2017, 02:21 AM)
--- End quote ---
Important requirement: On Windows 10 that is, older Windows releases only have a 'less well-developed' MSE version available.

Mikekolly:
Thanks For your suggestions;

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version