ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Screenshot Captor

Question: Searching Text String Within Comment/Note Within Capture

<< < (3/5) > >>

cranioscopical:
but I guess at this stage the question is where this information is stored

-tomos (April 26, 2017, 08:47 AM)
--- End quote ---
Stored, you say? ;D ;D ;D

:-[

IainB:
@tomos: if you read the two discussion threads I linked to, one tells you most/all the fields where information is stored, and the second tells you where to get the last ("Sunset") version Picasa  3.9 Build 141.259. Your version is apparently an older version - v3.9.137. So,you could indeed be missing some newer functionality - I don't know.
Get the Sunset version, install it and point it to the folders with the images you want indexed, and it will do that. Then start putting data into some pix and search on that.
Most of the data is/can be entered via the "Captions" in Picasa, and otherwise in Tags. The names of face-recognised people are also recorded and this can be used to link with a Gmail address book. There's geo-tagging as well.
Most/all of these fields can be found/searched using Picasa.

One can examine the .jpg fields using irfanview: Open up a .jpg image in irfanview, press Alt+i 3 times, and you will be in the IPTC Info view, where you can see all the interesting fields that are available for use.

If Picasa does not seem to be finding the data that you know is in the .jpg image files, then it will probably be because either Picasa has not been told to capture the folders where those files are, or has not had time to index them. My experience is that Picasa never fails, but the user can inadvertently screw it up without realising it.    :-[

tomos:
If Picasa does not seem to be finding the data that you know is in the .jpg image files, then it will probably be because either Picasa has not been told to capture the folders where those files are, or has not had time to index them.
-IainB (April 26, 2017, 09:58 AM)
--- End quote ---
no,
I'm reasonably familiar with Picasa, so can safely say that neither of those the case here.
I cant imagine the slightly older version of Picasa makes the difference, but can try the newer version tomorrow.

I presumed mouser is following up on where the info is in the screenshot file, but can try your Irfanview suggestion tomorrow.

mouser:
Ok I see now that when SC saves to jpg, tiff, gif, it puts it into the standard "comment" field.
But when saving PNG files, SC puts it into a "png key" called "Description".
So the trick when searching is to search the Description tag (maybe called Caption for some apps?)

For example xnview CAN see the description but lists it under IPTC tag of "Caption".

For example in xnview:

tomos:
I thought that had resolved it here mouser, but unfortunately Bizarre Behaviour going on here:
it finds e.g. 'InfoQube'
but
cannot find 'Illustrator' (or any of the other text quoted above)

All files are PNG, I compared filepaths to ensure I'm not losing my sanity -- they definitely in the same folder.
If anyone can think of anything else that might affect this, shout.

Got the same results with Picasa:
finds the first, but not the second :-/

I will have another look at this when I have the time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version