ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Screenshot Captor

Question: Searching Text String Within Comment/Note Within Capture

<< < (4/5) > >>

tomos:
Ok I see now that when SC saves to jpg, tiff, gif, it puts it into the standard "comment" field.
But when saving PNG files, SC puts it into a "png key" called "Description".
So the trick when searching is to search the Description tag (maybe called Caption for some apps?)

For example xnview CAN see the description but lists it under IPTC tag of "Caption".

For example in xnview:
-mouser (April 26, 2017, 06:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

mouser, turns out the files I was finding were jpegs:
the info was in the 'description' field.

With PNG files, I still cannot find *any* info from SC's comment box using XnView or Picasa.
With XnView I tried each of the following: Description / IPTC >All / IPTC > caption / EXIF >All / Comment
Now,
I'm not sure I fully trust XnView nor Picasa.

Maybe better to use something that simply shows all metadata for the file.
Using Dopus to show all metadata:
(Viewer >Edit metadata) shows no information for PNG files.
Note it does show the info in description field for JPG files.

That's as far as I've gotten today - and I dont really know where to go from here (any ideas anyone?)

tomos:
mouser,
it appears to be a weakness of XnView and Picasa (and Dopus) in relation to PNG's.
EDIT// Re Dopus my version is 12.3 - must update to 12.4 and check again. //EDIT

I remembered I have ExifToolGUI (8.35) here -- a GUI for ExifTools:
it shows all metadata for PNG files -- below the file I needed that got me going here:

unfortunately it does not seem to have any search, or filter for exif etc info, so will have to find something that works well there

mouser:
I stand corrected -- I was finding JPG files too.

Seems PNG searching is not working in xnview OR I am misunderstanding something.

tomos:
I stand corrected -- I was finding JPG files too.

Seems PNG searching is not working in xnview OR I am misunderstanding something.
-mouser (April 28, 2017, 07:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

the odd thing is ExifInfoGUI shows the info in 'description' field,
Dopus just has the pixel dimensions in the 'description' field.
I tried anything that sounded remotely like an info field in dopus:
all empty

Part the problem here might be that these fields are not fully standardised. Even in the dopus shot there, there's a Title field for Documents and one for Pictures - both with the same name :-/

Looking at my screenshot in previous post above again:
I checked and that description field is not in any of the sub-buttons listed:
Exif / IPTC / XMP / etc.
is listed under the title PNG which makes it seem it a standard field/column (not sure what term to use)

tomos:
Finally got to test Agent Ransack,
search string 'Tracing' --
it did find the three relevant files (took a very long time though)

Here the export of results (for one file) --- looks like gobbledygook to me:

--- Code: Text ---Z:\My Documents\screenshots\MINE\Screenshot - 2017-04-07 , 11_22_49.png 32 KB PNG File 2017-04-07 11:23:20 2017-04-07 11:22:49 2017-04-07 11:22:49 16 Tracing OptionsñH% IDATx^ì½k Ç•çןýXk=özí]ï¬ý] ŠõÚÞÕŒ ±áõÌzրb¢ÃÒö¬W³³ 3 {<#€      uñd7²DR ‘’ÀKJÈ–( à ŠM    Ã¢â€šâ‚¬D“if I go 'Copy' instead of Export I get

--- Code: Text ---Tracing OptionsñH% IDATx^ì½k Ç•çןýXk=özí]ï¬ý] ŠõÚÞÕŒ ±áõÌz÷Äb¢ÃÒö¬W³³ 3 {<#€          uñd7²DR ‘’ÀKJÈ–( à ŠM  â‚€D“
it didn't give any further info.

Looks like in order to use the SC comment info properly, the files would have to be indexed :-/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version