ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

1986 dial-up bulletin board system has brought the old Web back to life

<< < (3/4) > >>

MilesAhead:
I wrote an automated system to collect all the new Forum messages, log off, let you reply to everything offline, then connect up and post it as fast as possible.
-x16wda (April 13, 2017, 07:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's always nice when programming skill can directly save you cash!!  My favorite kind of programming.   :Thmbsup:

app103:
textfiles.com has one of the few traces of my brother that exists on the modern internet, in their historical 80's version BBS list (he died in the mid 90's).

Arizona Hot:
I was online before the Internet(locally in the Seattle area only), I never(maybe) had one of the phone cup modems. If I did, I switched to a direct connect 300 baud modem early(then to 600, 1200 and 2400 baud modems). I was known as Whatever then. I wasn't interested in the hacked games that were so common on those boards, I supplied music and pictures to the places I visited. I had trouble getting on the Internet(when it became available) because I had a Commodore computer which was too primitive for the Internet(very durable though until I had to get rid of it for lack of space), until I got my first PC(Windows 95). Did any of you have a version before that? The Commie was at least 15 years old and still going strong(even if there was nothing for it available online) when I had to get rid of it, unlike my more recent machines which all have died on me unexpectedly(with their boots on so to speak). I still have all my Commodore pictures and music(translated to more recent and usable formats).

techidave:
Ah... the... wonder... of... the... 300... bored... modem.  I... wonder... how... long... this... will... take...
-cranioscopical (April 14, 2017, 05:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

My brother went to Wentworth Institute(if that is not a redundancy.)  He had an account on a PDP-11 there.  We dialed in on a modem with suction cups similar to the model below.  Talk about a dinosaur.  :)

[ Invalid Attachment ]
-MilesAhead (April 17, 2017, 03:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

John Deere parts department used a modem like the one pictured here to irder their parts. I think it was back in the early to mid 80s.   I only saw it, never used it.

mwb1100:
I wrote an automated system to collect all the new Forum messages, log off, let you reply to everything offline, then connect up and post it as fast as possible.
-x16wda (April 13, 2017, 07:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Was that something like OzCIS/OzWin?  I had forgotten all about that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version