ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

1986 dial-up bulletin board system has brought the old Web back to life

<< < (2/4) > >>

cranioscopical:
Ah... the... wonder... of... the... 300... bored... modem.  I... wonder... how... long... this... will... take...

wraith808:
Ah... the... wonder... of... the... 300... bored... modem.  I... wonder... how... long... this... will... take...
-cranioscopical (April 14, 2017, 05:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

That was before we knew any better.  It was a lot faster with 2400 baud  :huh:  Well... relatively  ;D

40hz:
There's a good 8-part documentary on Youtube. Do a search for BBS The Documentary.

It'll bring a smile of recognition (and maybe sadness) to those of us who had been there in those magical early days of pre-web and FB online communities.

wraith808:
It could be because I was younger, and there were more things that I was intensely passionate about, but it seemed that the slow transmission of text and images, also slowed down the stream of the negative consequences of online socialization.  It seemed that the flame wars I did see were over something of more substance than the latest reality star antics.  And they were rarely as vicious and long lived.

Something on this very subject:

http://massis.lcs.mit.edu/telecom-archives/TELECOM_Digest_Online2006-1/0180.html

And a guide to Bulletin Board Systems still in operation:

http://bbs.guide/

MilesAhead:
-cranioscopical (April 14, 2017, 05:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

My brother went to Wentworth Institute(if that is not a redundancy.)  He had an account on a PDP-11 there.  We dialed in on a modem with suction cups similar to the model below.  Talk about a dinosaur.  :)

1986 dial-up bulletin board system has brought the old Web back to life

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version