ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Adobe Acrobat - is there an alternative?

<< < (3/5) > >>

techidave:
We do receive pdfs that need editing.  Also there are some that are needing a signature and then returned via email to sender.

As I understand it, my administrator wants something that can create and edit our own documents.  She also would like to be able to edit other pdfs as well as place a signature on them.  As far as placing images on them, I do not know if she would do that or not. 

She does post some pdfs on the web.

One of my administrators asked me to look into getting her a software that can do this.  Of course, Acrobat was the first thing that came to my mind.

techidave:
I've used PDF XChange Editor for many years, but recently I got to also install Acrobat Pro, so I made it my default app, to try it out. I found I much prefer PDF XChange Editor.
-dr_andus (April 09, 2017, 04:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
Did you buy a pro version of PDF XChange Editor? I have a free version, and as far as I can tell, it can't do things like combine several pdf pages into one pdf file.  Can yours do that?  A friend keeps suggesting that I simply break down and buy Adobe Acrobat Pro. He claims it will do everything. I'm not a big Adobe fan, so I'd prefer to use alternatives, as long as I can do what I want. But for combining files, I wound up sending all the separate pdfs to him and he combined them with Adobe.  :(

-cyberdiva (April 10, 2017, 08:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

I am not an Adobe fan either.  Too much bloat and its hard for me to use when there are other solutions that are easier and cost much less, if not free.

techidave:
I need to try out PDFexchange to see which version we would need.   Adobe Acrobat Pro cost us $155 US dollars...educational pricing.  Educational pricing for Foxit Pro was only a few dollars less.

pdfexchange is quite a bit less than both of the other ones. 

Evaluation copy here we come. 

tomos:
The only advantage I could find of Acrobat is that it seems to open files faster (or at least the app launches faster when you open the first file). But otherwise XChange is so much more user-friendly and customisable.
--- End quote ---

You mean there is an Adobe product that opens fast?  InDesign and Photoshop CS6 sure don't.
-techidave (April 11, 2017, 06:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

I find Acrobat Reader the best balance for opening / viewing PDF files:
note I'm usually looking at files with lots of vector graphics and/or images in them.
It is fast, and navigation & zooming is much more keyboard friendly than anything else I've tried, including PDF-Exchange (the last time I tried it at any rate).

Seems to work fine for manuals etc with lots of text too.

[Adobe is one of my least favourite companies, so take that as high praise for the Reader]

wraith808:
The only advantage I could find of Acrobat is that it seems to open files faster (or at least the app launches faster when you open the first file). But otherwise XChange is so much more user-friendly and customisable.
--- End quote ---

You mean there is an Adobe product that opens fast?  InDesign and Photoshop CS6 sure don't.
-techidave (April 11, 2017, 06:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

I find Acrobat Reader the best balance for opening / viewing PDF files:
note I'm usually looking at files with lots of vector graphics and/or images in them.
It is fast, and navigation & zooming is much more keyboard friendly than anything else I've tried, including PDF-Exchange (the last time I tried it at any rate).

Seems to work fine for manuals etc with lots of text too.

[Adobe is one of my least favourite companies, so take that as high praise for the Reader]
-tomos (April 11, 2017, 06:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Reader can be fast, but it can also be slow.  Depends on the PDF.  I find that PDF XChange opens at the same speed no matter the PDF, which is why I always switch my default to it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version