ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: OMDB movie parser

(1/4) > >>

nickodemos:
I deal with a lot of classic movies on a website I help moderate. I currently use a GreaseMonkey script to generate a basic BBCode NFO. [https://gist.github.com/cletusc/8d26902f46fe6b3ed850] This no longer works as intended since IMDB changed the layout of the pages. It still works well enough but I have been for a long time looking for something stand alone.

So the idea is to use OMDB.com API to gather the information and the parse the information into a given template. Be nice if each had a spot to make a template as you wanted. Here is an example of the OMDB api data return.

{"Title":"Soul Eater","Year":"2008–2009","Rated":"TV-14","Released":"07 Apr 2008","Runtime":"24 min","Genre":"Animation, Action, Adventure","Director":"N/A","Writer":"N/A","Actors":"Laura Bailey, Chiaki Omigawa, Micah Solusod, Brittney Karbowski","Plot":"Set in the Shinigami technical school for weapon meisters, the series revolves around 3 duo's. These pairs are a partnership between a weapon meister and a human weapon. Trying to reach a ranking of \"Death Scythe\" (and thus fit for use by the Shinigami) they must collect the souls of 99 evil humans and 1 witch. However, forces outside of the Academy make it more challenging of a feat.","Language":"Japanese","Country":"Japan","Awards":"N/A","Poster":"https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMWMzYmJiY2UtYzNhZS00ZTAzLTg3ODEtYWRiNmFjNjg0MWEwL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_SX300.jpg","Metascore":"N/A","imdbRating":"8.0","imdbVotes":"8,175","imdbID":"tt1214085","Type":"series","totalSeasons":"1","Response":"True"}

Example of a possible template.

http://www.imdb.com/title/%imdbID%/

Runtime: %Runtime%
Genre(s): %Genre%
Language(s): %Language%
Plot:

%plot%

Cast:
%cast%

I admit I would rather have IMDB for all the cast/director links but figure OMDB might be easier to work with.

skwire:
So the idea is to use OMDB.com API to gather the information and the parse the information into a given template. Be nice if each had a spot to make a template as you wanted. Here is an example of the OMDB api data return.-nickodemos (April 09, 2017, 12:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

Here's a quick proof of concept I threw together.  Was this something like what you had in mind?

I admit I would rather have IMDB for all the cast/director links but figure OMDB might be easier to work with.-nickodemos (April 09, 2017, 12:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

Unfortunately, IMDB do not have any sort of official API.  Hence the need for sites like this OMDB API.

skwire:
Added a bit more functionality.

nickodemos:
This is exactly what I was thinking.

Is it possible to have access to all the information that the OMDB API uses? Each person could mock up their own way for presenting the information. I know I tend to add the poster along with maybe the rating so access it all would be nice.

How hard is it to add right click function? The idea all the call terms could be on a context menu.

Since you threw in the series is it possible to add the episode function?

skwire:
This is exactly what I was thinking.-nickodemos (April 09, 2017, 08:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Good to know I was on the right track.

Is it possible to have access to all the information that the OMDB API uses?-nickodemos (April 09, 2017, 08:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

I added all the tags/tokens I could find.  Let me know if I missed any.

How hard is it to add right click function? The idea all the call terms could be on a context menu.-nickodemos (April 09, 2017, 08:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've included an "Insert tokens" button with menu.

Since you threw in the series is it possible to add the episode function?-nickodemos (April 09, 2017, 08:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

The episode stuff will take a bit of thought as the data it returns is different than movie or tv series data.

Here's the download:  http://skwire.dcmembers.com/apps/omdb_tool/OMDbTool.zip

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version