ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > DC Website Help and Extras

An Idea: Providing some small funding for a yearly (or 6 month) regular coder

<< < (3/6) > >>

Ath:
Well, had I known this 5 months ago... I'm now entering the final rounds of a (volunteer) coding project, that has to be completed before July 1st, that could have met the criteria for this 'challenge' ;)
Though we didn't discuss ownership of the code (should be mine as I wrote it all, in my own time) and the question of open-sourcing it, or not. That question is planned for the next meeting. But it's not one of the criteria here, AFAICS.
Maybe next project 8)

mouser:
The main thing I worry about with something like this is.. How to justify giving away $500-$1000 to someone randomly when there are long term members of the forum who regularly code like mad in the coding snacks area of the forum for example, making the place a better place for all of us..

Perhaps a better thing would be to give the money to coding snack coders?

Ath:
Perhaps a better thing would be to give the money to coding snack coders?
-mouser (May 20, 2017, 08:52 AM)
--- End quote ---
That would probably work better if the number of snack requests was higher than it is currently. And the size of a snack usually involves only a couple of hours work (and sometimes even less). And most snacks are handled by 2 or 3 persons... But it would be an extra motivator for picking up a request, I guess. Now to find a way of increasing the volume

It seems you end up with the same dilemma's as the last time you brought up this subject :tellme:

mouser:
It seems you end up with the same dilemma's as the last time you brought up this subject
--- End quote ---

Well my/our specialty is making things complicated and overthinking things..

mouser:
So yet another alternative would be that at the end of each year, in addition to celebrating the NANY events, we try to "recognize" the contributions of coders to the forum over the last year -- so a summary of contributed coding snacks and releases etc., and as part of that recognition divide up $1,000 in some way to those who have contributed in various ways over the last year.

The upside would be that it would be a less arbitrary way of thanking those who have contributed their efforts and code and shared it on the forum, in a more representative way and without ignoring the contributions to the community here.

The downside would be that it would be a much more "diluted" thing and would therefore not have as big an impact as one person receiving one big lump sum "award".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version