ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

File Encryption - now effectively outlawed in the US?

<< < (4/5) > >>

wraith808:
This is a political problem.  Technology won't solve it.  I recall the old comic that showed a technical person making the supposedly un-crackable algorithm.  And the people in black suits using a $5 wrench to beat the encryption codes out of him.  Seems like the same analogy works in this case.  If they can suspend habeas corpus and detain someone indefinitely until they give the keys, no amount of technology is going to get around that.

Seems pretty straightforward to me, and f0dder's argument a straightforward demonstration of that.

f0dder:
IainB, I'm going to cut your prose short.

You revived the other thread, so that's where I posted objective reasons to avoid the product.

This thread is about a political issue, and thus this thread is where I ask why you're trying to solve a political problem with a (bad) technological solution.

Also...

wraith808:
^ That's the comic I was referring to!  ;D

40hz:
Not only that, but it seems the FBI can arrest and charge you for hacking even if you never hacked anybody:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/03/31/fbi-arrests-hacker-who-hacked-no-one.html
-Deozaan (April 02, 2017, 11:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Got news... Under existing US laws, you already may be arrested and held indefinitely - without trial or charges, and at the discretion of the executive - if you are deemed a threat to US national security. The determination is solely that of the executive and applies (according to the wording of the law) to any person of any nation, anywhere in the world, and at any time. And such action is not subject to any form of judicial review or oversight in any real sense of either word.

Maybe someday the people will finally wake up and realize they're no longer living in the nation or world they think they are.  :huh:

mwb1100:
^ That's the comic I was referring to!
-wraith808 (April 04, 2017, 12:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

That reminds me of when I bought a safe and at one point I had a bit of a lapse and asked the salesman, "What do I do if someone's robbing me, points a gun at me and tells me to open the safe?".

The salesman gave me a stare and said, "Open the safe!"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version