ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

File Encryption - now effectively outlawed in the US?

<< < (3/5) > >>

wraith808:
(aka a cereal killer)
-app103 (April 03, 2017, 09:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

Are you trying to take cranioscopical's place?

app103:
(aka a cereal killer)
-app103 (April 03, 2017, 09:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

Are you trying to take cranioscopical's place?
-wraith808 (April 03, 2017, 11:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

Impossible! Nobody can do that. Not even worth trying. Besides, I don't want a rotten turkey sandwich on my profile. :P

IainB:
Regarding the matter of what alternatives there might be to addressing some of the potential problems/issues raised in the context of this discussion thread, this might be helpful/useful - I resurrected the old discussion thread: Re: FrogTea - strong encryption in an age when encryption may become illegal

f0dder:
Don't use FrogTea - I've posted some reasons in the other thread.

What on earth is it supposed to help with, anyway? You're suggesting a product that's technically inferior to modern crypto, while not solving the issue at hand which is a politics based one.

IainB:
@fodder:
Don't use FrogTea - I've posted some reasons in the other thread.
What on earth is it supposed to help with, anyway? You're suggesting a product that's technically inferior to modern crypto, while not solving the issue at hand which is a politics based one.
-f0dder (April 03, 2017, 10:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

As I commented on that other thread:
Oh, so its apparently not of much use then? I had not known that.
-IainB (April 03, 2017, 11:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Where you write:
...What on earth is it supposed to help with, anyway? etc. ...
-f0dder (April 03, 2017, 10:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

...I don't quite follow.
I'll have to take your word for it that it's apparently broken/of no use, or something, though I gather that the experience of others more experienced and knowledgeable than I, who have used this technology, is that it does have some definite use and has had use for some considerable time - e.g., for holding such things as bank account details, passwords, registration keys and other confidential data that they might wish to share/sync securely between devices and/or with other people.
However, that is their reported experience and as I have never used the technology, I couldn't possibly comment.

You also seem to have been expecting me to be addressing specific issues or providing technological solutions to what seem to be legal/political problems in this discussion thread (which I started), and ask what use could it be and how might it help address the issues in this thread.

Well, of course I was not intentionally attempting to address specific issues or provide technological solutions to what seem to be legal/political problems, and I don't think I could even if I had intended to.
It would thus be a digression to do that - that is, to start a discussion about technology/products like FrogTea in this thread - and thus I had no intention of introducing such a digression, which is why I wrote (above): (the important bit is emphasised by me)
Regarding the matter of what alternatives there might be to addressing some of the potential problems/issues raised in the context of this discussion thread, this might be helpful/useful
-IainB (April 03, 2017, 08:55 PM)
--- End quote ---
...and in the FrogTea discussion, I obliquely referred to the potential illegality of such technology in some (unspecified) countries.
The last thing I would wish to do is recommend that forum members should unwittingly use what, for them, could be an illegal technology. They might get arrested for it. Indeed I might too, if I had (say) recommended it to them, or incited them to use it in contravention of a local law.
Eggshells all over the place.

So you can probably see that keeping the discussion on FrogTea separate was very much about maintaining relevance and context in this thread and not wishing to interrupt the discussion with a digression, other than to say ..."By the way, this also might be interesting information in this context...".

Having said that, I would add that I don't wish to seem rude or abrupt, but could I thus suggest that you try to contribute to the discussion in this thread?
I feel sure that we forum readers could all potentially benefit from what you might be able to usefully and constructively offer on the matters in this context. I mean, it is a discussion, after all, and anybody's input is potentially golden.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version