ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

TempleOS - A Constructive Look.

(1/2) > >>

IainB:
Thoughtful article by one Richard Mitton in Codersnotes.com. Though it came up in my Hacker News RSS feed only today, it was originally posted June 8th, 2015.
It is about TempleOS, an OS developed by a troubled guy. It looks rather impressive.
A Constructive Look At TempleOS
(Extract copied below sans embedded hyperlinks/images.)
...There are many bad things to be said about TempleOS, many aspects of it that seem poorly constructed or wouldn't work in the "real world". I'm going to ignore them here. It's very easy to be negative, but you will never learn anything new by doing so.

Many might consider TempleOS a waste of time, compared to more fully-featured OSs such as Linux, because it will never have the same success. Plan 9, developed by Bell Labs, was a research OS designed to be a successor to Unix. Despite some big names and big ideas, it was never any kind of commercial success. Was Plan 9 therefore a waste of time? Many would argue not, as some of its ideas have since found their way into other products.

Perhaps we should instead look at TempleOS as a research operating system: what can be accomplished if you're not locked into established thinking, backwards compatibility, and market demands.

What can we learn if we are only willing to listen? ...

--- End quote ---

(Read more at the link.)

x16wda:
Very interesting article. Thanks.

mouser:
I enjoyed reading the article -- thanks for sharing it.  :up:

Carol Haynes:
Interesting - like his video demo

Deozaan:
I'm resurrecting this old thread because I just came across this video Linus Tech Tips did last month on TempleOS. It's a relatively short tour of the OS and its capabilities.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version