ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 KB4013429 Failed to Install... Again and Again

(1/1)

Deozaan:
So, I've tried repeatedly to get this update to install. But it just keeps failing, reverting the changes, and then immediately when I get back into Windows 10 it downloads the update again and tells me I need to restart to finish installing it.

I even tried manually downloading the update and installing it. It, too, told me I needed to reboot to finish installing it. When I did that, it did the usual thing and after a while it said it failed to install and reverted the changes.

I've searched and found other people asking around how to get this update to install, many times without a response. But even in the cases where I did see a response, nowhere have I found anyone saying they were able to resolve the situation.

Anyone here have any experience getting stubborn updates to take? Normally I'd just let a failed update sit there and not install, but this results in Windows 10 nagging me to restart my computer and threatening to do it for me "outside of active hours" if I don't take care of it myself. Halp!

Windows 10 KB4013429 Failed to Install... Again and Again

Shades:
The 'Windows Event Viewer' can be used to find which part of the installation went wrong an it very likely that the error code is given in the error description. From there you look for solutions to fix that problem and start the installation of the Windows 10 update again.

Now I am not sure about the 'Windows Event Viewer' being available in Home or OEM versions of Windows 10, because I don't have such a version not at hand and my internet is flaky, because the current weather here makes me feel like sitting in a swimming pool, even tough I'm sitting behind my desk (airco's give me a headache).

My last statement was made, just because it is my impression that these Home/OEM versions of Windows have become (even) more limited with each new version of Windows. Or in case with Windows 10 each update.

But if you do have access to the 'Windows Event Viewer', you will find it helpful.

IainB:
@Deozaan: The problem you describe sounds - almost word-for-word - like the problem I had in Sep. 2016, and I posted my solution (a destructive forced install of the Windows Update) in the DC forum: Re: Windows 10 - if update does not work, try a forced destructive update.

If you look at that and the post I made immediately after, you will find some potentially useful links. There was no solution proferred in discussion forums, and I had at least twice run the system health check/cleanup for Windows 10:

* sfc /scannow
* Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
If you have to take the same route, do ensure that you first take a copy of your current Windows 10 Product Key, as you will probably need it after the install (if not before, when getting the ISO). The forced update/install is likely to be destructive of your existing Win10 image and will obliterate lots of stuff, so back up all your data, just-in-case, though it's the Programs and User directories that mostly got zapped - the  Programs directories were largely deleted, and the User directories were partially deleted with the residue being moved to an "Old Windows" folder.

'Twas no picnic.    :(

Deozaan:
Thanks.

@Shades: I found some stuff in the Event Viewer, but nothing I can tell that is related to installing updates.
@IainB: I perused some links and did some of the suggested troubleshooting steps. Still no solution.

I think I may end up waiting until the Creator's Update is released and then use the Media Creation Tool to download and make a bootable thumb drive with the latest version of Windows and try for a forced upgrade or Reset or whatever.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version