ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

XYplorer is not responding.

(1/7) > >>

Deozaan:
NOTE: This thread was originally a reply in the Windows now has banner ads thread, and was moved here in an attempt to keep that other thread on topic. The original conversation is below:

But maybe it's time to re-evaluate XYplorer and see what all the hubbub is about.
-Deozaan (March 13, 2017, 04:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nope. I still can't do XYplorer. It frequently locks up on me for several seconds at a time.

Shades:
But maybe it's time to re-evaluate XYplorer and see what all the hubbub is about.
--- End quote ---

Nope. I still can't do XYplorer. It frequently locks up on me for several seconds at a time.
-Deozaan (March 14, 2017, 09:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

That sounds like a familiar problem, which usually happens when you access folders on your LAN. Is that the case?

If so, you better take a look at the network configuration of the system you experience this problem on. The TCP protocol is responsible for actual communication over the network and can make Windows wait, giving the user the impression the currently application is doing something badly, while it just waiting for the TCP implementation in Windows before it is allowed to continue.

Of course, if you more than 2 computers/devices in your LAN and this problem occurs on any device while accessing the same shared folder, you better take a look at the device with the share that gives problems.

WiFi connections can introduce high(er) latencies between network nodes at any given moment, which in turn can make Windows wait for the TCP protocol to get things straight again. 

I kept complaining about a shitty connection that I got from the cable provider. Existing connections acted as expected, but whenever a new connection had to be made, a lot of TCP packets not arriving, improperly transmitted etc. A tool like WireShark helped me to prove to several field techs that their connection appeared to be as promised, but in practice wasn't. Several modems later the problem still wasn't fixed, so at the end the company inspected their cable to the server that managed the traffic for my barrio and now the connection really works as advertised.

WireShark proved to be invaluable. Run it on the computer experiencing the problem and when you see a lot of black lines passing through the capture session, while you do your thing on your LAN, your connection is (much) crappier than you think.

Not all file managers treat such problems in the network in the same way. More often than not they make use of a commonly used library for the language they wrote the application in. And that library can treat network mishaps very differently than the one Windows Explorer uses. For all I know, the used library can be more strict (as in: crappy connection == untrustworthy connection == no connection) than the library Windows Explorer uses.

More info about the behavior of the library being used by XYplorer should be asked to the person(s) that wrote XYplorer. If you are interested in such things, of course. Unfortunately applications get the blame for something that (the TCP implementation) Windows itself should be blamed for, because the software author has no control over it.

Deozaan:
That sounds like a familiar problem, which usually happens when you access folders on your LAN. Is that the case?
-Shades (March 15, 2017, 01:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Nope. Just trying to browse my internal hard drives.

tomos:
--- End quote ---
-Deozaan (March 14, 2017, 09:20 PM)
--- End quote ---
odd,
and you dont have the same problem with other file managers?

wraith808:
I had that problem too, on specific machines, which is the reason that I don't use XYPlorer more.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version