ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Malwarebytes goes full Anti-Virus

<< < (3/4) > >>

wraith808:
That's not what that said to me, but maybe it's in the reading, ...-wraith808 (March 17, 2017, 10:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's in the reading, if you ignore the overenthusiastic hype in the heading and first couple of paragraphs:

With the launch of Malwarebytes 3.0, we are confident that you can finally replace your traditional antivirus ...
--- End quote ---

That says to me that they think their product can now perform the function of an normal AV program.

They then go on to say you can still use your AV program in tandem with it:

But rest assured, we continue to support compatibility if you choose to use a third-party antivirus or other security software alongside Malwarebytes 3.0.
--- End quote ---

ATM, I'm still running v2 after the debacle of trying to get v3 to install, upgrade, or work.

I can't understand why they wouldn't see that going from signature style virus detection to signature-less would naturally increase the load on system resources.
One can only guess that the only machines they have to test on are all using top tier components.
-4wd (March 18, 2017, 02:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

I got all of that in the reading.  I just took away something different- if you can replace your AV with it, even if it works with your existing AV (i.e. doesn't conflict, which is good), then it has to have the same functionality, right?

Curt:
Almost what you want:
Edit planned scanning > Edit > Plan frequency > Once

wraith808:
Almost what you want:
Edit planned scanning > Edit > Plan frequency > Once

-Curt (March 18, 2017, 01:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

That just makes it so that it only scans once.  I don't see what that has to do with the heuristic scanning.

cyberdiva:
I don't see what that has to do with the heuristic scanning.
-wraith808 (March 18, 2017, 01:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wraith, I'm very sorry to hear about your horrendous experience with MB3, but I'm most grateful to you for posting about it.  You've saved me from moving to MB3 from MB2.  One very weird thing about your present experience is that apparently it's the heuristic scanning that is taking so long. In MB2, the heuristic scanning occurs at the end of the scan and takes VERY little time, perhaps a minute or so. 

wraith808:
I don't see what that has to do with the heuristic scanning.
-wraith808 (March 18, 2017, 01:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wraith, I'm very sorry to hear about your horrendous experience with MB3, but I'm most grateful to you for posting about it.  You've saved me from moving to MB3 from MB2.  One very weird thing about your present experience is that apparently it's the heuristic scanning that is taking so long. In MB2, the heuristic scanning occurs at the end of the scan and takes VERY little time, perhaps a minute or so. 

-cyberdiva (March 19, 2017, 07:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

I know!  I was surprised!  It got to the heuristic scanning after about 30 minutes- which on the longer side, but not overly so.  The rest of the time was just that.  I've changed the schedule to once a week in the dead of night on Monday morning.  I'll see how it goes, but not upgrading any of my other machines until I figure this out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version