ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Malwarebytes goes full Anti-Virus

<< < (2/4) > >>

wraith808:
That's not what that said to me, but maybe it's in the reading, though the title says "a next-generation antivirus replacement", which seems pretty clear.  But I will say that I've never had problems with it before, and I've always had it scheduled on several machines.  It's never taken a long time, nor has it bogged down my machine.  It is now, very badly, and I can only point to this update.  So no matter what what it means, it's pretty useless to me at this point.

And when I finally killed it in the task manager, my machine stopped for a not insignificant amount of time while it re-started itself.  And in the task manager, it showed it taking 73.4% of my CPU.  Malwarebytes anti-malware?  More like Malwarebytes Malware at this point.

And it seems like I'm not the only one:

The only downside I see is that this uses A LOT more CPU than before, it shoots up to 100% CPU load on an i7 4770K when it would be like around 20% in the background before, is this where the 4x speed increase comes from?

--- End quote ---

There's a lot more like it in the comments.

mwb1100:
I got a pop-up saying there was an upgrade. My willingness to be bleeding edge is gone now - so I declined. I have a policy of letting others take the arrows before I dive into new system software (OS, anti-malware, drivers, etc).

More like Malwarebytes Malware at this point.
-wraith808 (March 17, 2017, 10:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

It seems to me that this kind of thing happens to so many anti-malware tools.

4wd:
That's not what that said to me, but maybe it's in the reading, ...-wraith808 (March 17, 2017, 10:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's in the reading, if you ignore the overenthusiastic hype in the heading and first couple of paragraphs:

With the launch of Malwarebytes 3.0, we are confident that you can finally replace your traditional antivirus ...
--- End quote ---

That says to me that they think their product can now perform the function of an normal AV program.

They then go on to say you can still use your AV program in tandem with it:

But rest assured, we continue to support compatibility if you choose to use a third-party antivirus or other security software alongside Malwarebytes 3.0.
--- End quote ---

ATM, I'm still running v2 after the debacle of trying to get v3 to install, upgrade, or work.

I can't understand why they wouldn't see that going from signature style virus detection to signature-less would naturally increase the load on system resources.
One can only guess that the only machines they have to test on are all using top tier components.

Curt:
my version is in Danish, so these are my translations of the User's Interface:

Open Malwarebytes 3 > Settings > Schedule scanning > check Type > click Edit , then in Type of Action change "Normal", to "Defined by User" or Hyper.

Modified:
1) I am not quite sure, because I can't remember this part, but you may have to first delete the job that was already there (instead of editing it), and only then create a new job with your preferred type of action.

2) oh, yeah, Fill "Exclusions" with everything you already trust. Why not?

Malwarebytes 3 is easy to live with, but we have to do the settings, don't we.

wraith808:
my version is in Danish, so these are my translations of the User's Interface:

Open Malwarebytes 3 > Settings > Schedule scanning > check Type > click Edit , then in Type of Action change "Normal", to "Defined by User" or Hyper.

Modified:
1) I am not quite sure, because I can't remember this part, but you may have to first delete the job that was already there (instead of editing it), and only then create a new job with your preferred type of action.

2) oh, yeah, Fill "Exclusions" with everything you already trust. Why not?

Malwarebytes 3 is easy to live with, but we have to do the settings, don't we.

-Curt (March 18, 2017, 04:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've already done what you said.  You see my results above.  First thing I do with any software is to check the settings.  And, as I pointed out, I'm apparently not the only person with the problem.  And the very thing they tout (heuristics) seems to be what is causing the problem.  And I don't see any way in any of the settings to turn it off.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version