topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:11 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Disobedience Award — MIT Media Lab  (Read 2979 times)

6DecadesOld

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Disobedience Award — MIT Media Lab
« on: March 09, 2017, 11:15 PM »
Firstly, I will put a sentence in here from Director Ito that sort of gives you an idea what's up, if you don't already know about this:

• "You don’t change the world by doing what you’re told."

The link for the nomination form that will also provide the very basic ideas of the award as you view the first few pages before the actual nomination form pages:

https://www.media.mit.edu/disobedience/

Jessica Sousa's explanation is here:

https://www.media.mi.../disobedience-award/

And even though Ms. Sousa has a link to Director Ito's explanation that went up last year (July, I think) I will provide a link here:

https://medium.com/m...94d9f0785#.g0a7k9cf6

Also, Director Ito put up an entry in their web log in March of last year and I will place that link here, as well:

https://joi.ito.com/...on-disobedience.html

And for anyone else that may have thought of it, I am going through the New York Chapter (Joly, their VP) of the ISOC to try and find out why we are not seeing this presented in any other languages.  If you are a member of the ISOC you have to go to the Open Forum to view that.

Do you still have your TRS-80?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Disobedience Award — MIT Media Lab
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 02:40 AM »
The link for the nomination form that will also provide the very basic ideas of the award as you view the first few pages before the actual nomination form pages:

https://www.media.mit.edu/disobedience/

I'll just throw in a quote from there:

We are now accepting nominations for the first-ever MIT Media Lab Disobedience Award, which carries a $250,000 cash prize, no strings attached.
This award will go to a person or group engaged in what we believe is an extraordinary example of disobedience for the benefit of society.

What does this mean? Societies and institutions lean toward order and away from chaos. While necessary for functioning, structure can also stifle creativity, flexibility, and productive change–and ultimately, society's health and sustainability. This is true from academia, to corporations, governments, the sciences, and our local communities.

With this award, we honor work that impacts society in positive ways, and is consistent with a set of key principles. These principles include non-violence, creativity, courage, and taking responsibility for one’s actions. This disobedience is not limited to specific disciplines; examples include scientific research, civil rights, freedom of speech, human rights, and the freedom to innovate.

Deadline for submissions is May 1, 2017. Award recipient will be announced live on July 21, 2017.

sounds interesting :up:
Tom

6DecadesOld

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 04:27 PM »
I agree that it seems to be an interesting project, but I am having some trouble accepting that everything is only in English.  That really surprises me.  I thought MIT was a tad bit more careful about such things.

So I'm working on the problem, but I don't have any more direct contacts at the school.  It's been too many years.  So I am trying to get some other folks to get in touch with them and ask what's up.

Problem is that I cause so much trouble all over the place I may have some trouble getting help with this.  That's one of the disadvantages when one is a troublemaker like I am.  But most of the time the trouble I cause is for good reasons — justifiable reasons.  Anyway, we'll see what happens.

Do you still have your TRS-80?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 06:18 PM »
...So I'm working on the problem, but I don't have any more direct contacts at the school.  It's been too many years.  So I am trying to get some other folks to get in touch with them and ask what's up.

Problem is that I cause so much trouble all over the place I may have some trouble getting help with this.  That's one of the disadvantages when one is a troublemaker like I am.  But most of the time the trouble I cause is for good reasons — justifiable reasons. ...