ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

SeqBox - A file container that can be restored after total loss of FS structures

<< < (2/3) > >>

tomos:
hi Mark0,
this does sound interesting for long-term archiving

Possible / hypothetical / ideal uses cases

Last step of a backup - after creating a compressed archive of something, the archive could be SeqBox encoded to increase recovery chances in the event of some software/hardware issues that cause logic / file system's damages
--- End quote ---

wondering: is that archive then (also) accessible in the normal manner (if without SeqBox password), or will SeqBox be required to access it?

Mark0:
You could consider an SBX archive like a ZIP one, with only 1 file inside, and stored / non-compressed.
So yes, the file will need to be decoded / extracted with SBXDec to get the original file.
But, like there are software that can access files inside a ZIP archive without extracting it (like music players that directly can play MP3s stored inside a compressed archive), nothing prohibits to do the same with SBX archives.
It would be actually very easy, since the format is very simple, and the original file isn't changed in any way, just divided in blocks. As such even random access is possible without any issues.

tomos:
You could consider an SBX archive like a ZIP one, with only 1 file inside, and stored / non-compressed.
So yes, the file will need to be decoded / extracted with SBXDec to get the original file.
But, like there are software that can access files inside a ZIP archive without extracting it (like music players that directly can play MP3s stored inside a compressed archive), nothing prohibits to do the same with SBX archives.
It would be actually very easy, since the format is very simple, and the original file isn't changed in any way, just divided in blocks. As such even random access is possible without any issues.
-Mark0 (April 05, 2017, 05:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

thanks for that info :up:

solaris65:
Hi Mark0,

First of all, I just want to second what's been said already about how interesting this is..even though I don't fully understand what it is or its possible applications.  I'm not a "coder" and the only thing I've ever built in my life was a garden wall with my late father many years ago.  My area of expertise is in music production. Once upon a time, I was dabbling with the idea of having a VST (a digital musical instrument plug-in / app) of my own built and was researching possible sources to do just that and somehow found my way here and seem to have stuck around.

Anyway, sorry for going off on a tangent there.  This really does interest me, mainly for  it's possible use in backing up my compositions and all musical data pertaining to the same..BUT..(and you'll have to excuse my total ignorance here) I don't really understand how I would actually use it in a day-to-day setting..or even how to set it up to begin with.

For the record, my studio system is a Windows 7 Pro 64 bit PC and I understand how to use Zip programs, which I gather this is something akin to..but what I really need it a very simple "walk-through" that would explain..as if to a child..what this is and how I can use it.

Again, my apologies for the ignorance on my part..but this really does sound like something everyone SHOULD be using, if I have understood it correctly..and I just need some clarification and help with it.  Hope you don't mind supplying both when and if you have the time to do so.

Kind regards

Dan (solaris65)

Mark0:
but this really does sound like something everyone SHOULD be using-solaris65 (April 05, 2017, 06:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I don't think we are quite there at the moment! :)
Let's say that, aside from experimenting, it could surely be used as additional back up/security measure.

Being a suite of command line tools it's not super user friendly, but I hope to add additional documentation and examples soon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version