ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows Explorer now has banner ads

(1/6) > >>

Deozaan:
I opened up Windows Explorer just now and was greeted by this:

Windows Explorer now has banner ads

Deozaan:
After a quick search, I found several news outlets have reported on this in the past couple of days. I clicked on one, somewhat randomly, and skimmed through it and found this:

Luckily, there appears to be an easy way to banish File Explorer ads—though sadly, it's not tied to any of the settings you need to disable Windows 10's other ads.

Open an Explorer window and go to View > Options > Change folder and search options. In the properties window that opens, click on the View tab, and under Advanced settings scroll down and uncheck “Show sync provider notifications.” The list is organized alphabetically.-http://www.pcworld.com/article/3178683/windows/microsoft-ads-invade-windows-10s-file-explorer.html
--- End quote ---

rgdot:
For a product one pays for (I hope no one ever falls for 'free upgrade = free') having ads is ridiculous at best. This makes other MS tactics look like harmless fun.

mouser:
Surely they aren't showing ads for those who paid for Windows 10.
But this is still a bad omen.

On the other hand it's just another reminder that you shouldn't be using windows explorer, you should be using one of the 3rd party alternatives.  This will just help spread the word to more people.

rgdot:
Surely they aren't showing ads for those who paid for Windows 10.
But this is still a bad omen.

On the other hand it's just another reminder that you shouldn't be using windows explorer, you should be using one of the 3rd party alternatives.  This will just help spread the word to more people.
-mouser (March 11, 2017, 03:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Fixed

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version