topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:45 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Help to install a java script or similar CRGREP  (Read 5144 times)

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Help to install a java script or similar CRGREP
« on: March 03, 2017, 01:05 PM »
I am trying to collect software able to search and replace strings in word documents and other :

https://www.donation...?topic=43556.new#new

Until the moment this seems to be the more powerful. But I fail installing. So I need a little more help.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/crgrep/

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Help to install a java script or similar CRGREP
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 02:14 PM »
Can't be that hard, downloading now (but it's slow...), hang on

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 02:30 PM »
Most difficult part for you might be to install Java, and set up the JAVA_HOME environment variable.
What OS are you currently on? Windows 7 or Windows 10 (any other Windows I can't make screenshots on, as I've always refused to use Win8/8.1)

Oh, btw, it works like a charm, just tested it with a couple of Office 2013 documents, and found any word I threw at it :up:
sample command-line:
C:\Users\Ath\Documents>..\Downloads\Contro\crgrep-1.0.5\bin\crgrep -i word *.docx
The -i is for case-insensitive search

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 02:40 PM »
Well, re-checking your request, crgrep is a find-only tool, no replace feature, for as far as I can find :P

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 05:21 AM »
Thanks a lot Ath.
I have Java already install. I need to digitally sign in the web with digital certificates.
But perhaps I need a java version for developing.

If don't replace is not useful to my purpose.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 05:22 AM »
Most difficult part for you might be to install Java, and set up the JAVA_HOME environment variable.
What OS are you currently on? Windows 7 or Windows 10 (any other Windows I can't make screenshots on, as I've always refused to use Win8/8.1)

Oh, btw, it works like a charm, just tested it with a couple of Office 2013 documents, and found any word I threw at it :up:
sample command-line:
C:\Users\Ath\Documents>..\Downloads\Contro\crgrep-1.0.5\bin\crgrep -i word *.docx
The -i is for case-insensitive search
I have windows 8.1

I take screenshots with Screenshot Captor

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 08:18 PM »
Sometimes it is possible to use Java-based applications when you simply copy the java executables (with their standard folder structure!) in a folder acceptable by the Java-based application.

Oracle SQL Developer and DataStax DevCenter (Cassandra/NoSQL) are good examples. When Java isn't installed on your system and you run these software applications, an error message screen tells you that the java executable cannot be found and tells you also the folders where it looks for the Java executables. If you simply download the Java version that you need (JRE = Java Runtime Environment / JDK = Java Development Kit) and extract it (NOT install!!!) into one of the folders suggested by the software, you have a fully working application without the need to install Java.

The above can also be handy if you need a very specific Java version installed for one application and a different Java version for another application. Find out which application is able to run without Java installed and extract the required Java version in one of its acceptable folders and run the software at least once (to set all the paths correctly for that particular Java-based application). Then install the Java version for the other application and you should be able to use each Java-based application with their corresponding Java version. Of course, if both applications can run without having Java installed, then don't install Java at all.

With Java applications it is very common that you need a very specific version of Java and you cannot deviate (much) before it (seriously) affects the Java-based application. This is why working with Java-based applications can be complicated, do you update and risk the application not function anymore as you expect (best case scenario) or not at all (worst case scenario)?

A setup like explained above requires that you yourself need to keep an eye out for Java and/or application updates. This is also why I don't like Java-based applications. Dependency-hell (all over again)...

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 01:54 AM »
With Java applications it is very common that you need a very specific version of Java and you cannot deviate (much) before it (seriously) affects the Java-based application. This is why working with Java-based applications can be complicated, do you update and risk the application not function anymore as you expect (best case scenario) or not at all (worst case scenario)?
Hm, that was the case a couple of years back (when Java 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 and 5 was current), but now that Oracle is actively demotivating the use of older Java versions and finally removing some long deprecated stuff, most applications behave appropriately, by being forward compatible in nearly any situation. Agreed, I do know of a few obscurities in this area, so it's not eradicated completely, but can usually be easily worked around (by the developer).