ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Born in the wrong time...

<< < (3/3)

Edvard:
gladly...

Harrie:
If you all ever get a chance, watch a movie called "The Nun's Story."  Audrey was great in that!  (Like everything else).

zridling:
Thanks for the tip, Harrie. Is there anyone around today comparable to Audrey Hepburn? I'm trying to think of someone.

app103:
One of my favorite old movies is The Man with the Golden Arm.

I grew up listening to the soundtrack to it. (my dad is a HUGE jazz freak) I became very familiar with the music. It's a great soundtrack.

When I finally saw the movie for the first time, I was awestruck. I have never seen a movie where the soundtrack fit in quite like this one. It was one of the things that really made this movie. Almost makes you wonder if the music was made for the movie...or the movie was made for the music. They are such a perfect match for each other.

I don't think I would have appreciated the movie as much if I had never heard the music first. If you are ever going to see this movie, get a copy of the soundtrack and listen to it a couple dozen times first. Then watch it. You will be glad you did.

It was made in the 50's and stars Frank Sinatra. (nobody sings in this movie) It dealt with the subject of heroine addiction....something unheard of at that time in entertainment history. It was one of the first to ever deal with that heavy of a subject matter.

Frank Sinatra plays a drug addict that was released from prison and has decided to go straight & legal and make a good life for himself. But he's on the same streets he was on that lead to the problems he's trying to get away from, and it pulls him right back down.

His struggle to beat his addiction and beat life on the street really pulls at something inside of you. There is a whole withdrawal scene that is quite realistic....graphic.

It might not seem like something that great from the way I describe it, but believe me it is. Compared to the movies of today, the storyline wouldn't be such a big deal...we are used to that kind of thing now...but you have to remember when this movie was made...it was a big deal.

This is by far Frank Sinatra's best movie. After seeing it, the soundtrack gives me chills now.

And as far as Audrey Hepburn...Wait Until Dark is one of her best. Another must-see movie....a fantastic thriller.

-------
Edit: I have since found out The Man With the Golden Arm is in the public domain and is considered legal to download...you can watch a free stream here if you have Real Player.

brotherS:
When I finally saw the movie for the first time, I was awestruck. I have never seen a movie where the soundtrack fit in quite like this one.
-app103 (July 23, 2006, 09:54 PM)
--- End quote ---
I had to think about Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai (1999) when I read your words.

You might not like its soundtrack, but you should like its tagline:

"Live by the code. Die by the code."

:)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version