ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Removing Spam classification from your mail server

<< < (2/2)

Carol Haynes:
I had a similar problem ages ago - the simplest solution is to have multiple IP addresses on your server and when a problem arises and you are sure nothing bad is going on simply ask the data centre to swap to an alternative IP and presto you are clear again.

By the time the problem arises again (and it will) the old IP will be clean again so swap back.

My data centre seems pretty happy with doing this.

wraith808:
That's actually a really good idea, as I have an unused IP.  Thanks!

Carol Haynes:
 ;D

Stoic Joker:
I had a similar problem ages ago - the simplest solution is to have multiple IP addresses on your server and when a problem arises and you are sure nothing bad is going on simply ask the data centre to swap to an alternative IP and presto you are clear again.
-Carol Haynes (February 26, 2017, 11:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

I use a slightly different variation on the same theme. All of the traffic going out of our network (including various secondary web sites) is forced to one IP in our CIDR block except the primary mail server (we have 3) which stays segregated on it's own IP so it's allowed to rise (or fall...) based solely on its own reputation. The other two mail servers are a private authenticated relay server (for customers), and a hidden "Human Firewall" Phishing server (for IT access only) that we torture the staff with (both are on separate IPs).

However a few years back after running with a flawless reputation for almost a decade, an ISP swap landed us with an address that was blacklisted by one of the listers. But after a - bad Stoic moment - low grade ballistic phone call to the ISP it got sorted out in a matter of hours.

Most of the blacklist sites have an interface that - can be a bitch to find... - allows you to submit yourself or a "retest" to get delisted. First offence removals aren't usually difficult ... But second offences are intentionally treated quite harshly..

wraith808:
I've been removed from two - Barracuda and Truncate.  Protected sky doesn't show me if I dig from the shell, but shows me if I search on MxToolbox.  I actually have two servers, so I just started using the mail server on the second server rather than going through changing the IP.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version