ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Macrium Reflect v7 release on Feb. 27th

<< < (2/5) > >>

cyberdiva:
I updated very recently to Macrium 6 so I could then update for free to Macrium 7. I haven't even used version 6 yet (though I may create an image backup tonight). All I really want to know is whether Macrium 7 is at least as good as Macrium 6.  I've tended to let time go by after a new version is released to give the company time to get rid of the bugs they didn't catch.  After the fiasco with Malwarebytes version 3 (I'm still using v. 2  :( ), I'm even more nervous.  So what sayeth ye about Macrium 7?

MilesAhead:
So what sayeth ye about Macrium 7?
-cyberdiva (March 06, 2017, 02:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

I haven't done any comprehensive testing.  But I did a full backup.  That seemed to go just like v6.  Then after copying an additional 300 MB or so of files onto the same partition, I did an incremental backup.  That also felt just like v6.  So my feeling is if they have improved the rapid restore at all then they are definitely moving forward rather than backward.  Oh, and while I was doing the full backup I clicked "Hide" and surfed with Firefox.  Reflect showed no hint that it wanted to crash or do anything else weird.  Then when the full image was nearly complete, I killed Firefox to let the backup get over with quickly.  It seemed very stable and solid just like v6.

The main issues I have seen on their forum have been problems updating and installing.  I guess they went to an update scheme where you could migrate to v7 right inside v6.  So there are bound to be a few issues.  But I used Revo Uninstaller(mainly because my system has issues with Windows Installer and Macrium uses that for install and uninstall) to remove v6 and the v7 install went smoothly.  Revo Uninstaller free version is quite formidable when it comes to removing all the registry junk and files from failed installs/uninstalls.

My feeling is unless you see some scary issues with WinPE or the Restore not working I would have confidence in it.  Please just don't sue me if something weird happens.  After all, there are two ways of looking at it.  Some people say "Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal" and others, especially if they look like Chico Marx in A Day At the Races, say "who ya' gonna' believe?  Me or your own eyes?"   :)

But I take that it ran with Firefox hogging a lot of the resources, without complaint, as a good sign.    :Thmbsup:

cyberdiva:
Thanks VERY much, MilesAhead, for your very helpful account.  It sounds as if version 7 is ready for prime time.

MilesAhead:
Thanks VERY much, MilesAhead, for your very helpful account.  It sounds as if version 7 is ready for prime time.
-cyberdiva (March 06, 2017, 09:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Cool.  If you have any issues please follow up.  :)

cranioscopical:
I updated my 4-pack. I swapped from PE5 to PE10 so there was a bit of fiddling around to get the on-boot recovery option to run.

So far, on the one machine onto which I've put v7, it runs a full backup/verify but stops at 99% completion. The backup itself is fine (did some exhaustive checking) and v7 sends out an email verification before contemplating its navel.

I've had some trouble with Malwarebytes 3 which, among other issues, blocks both my MS Office and Acrobat X from launching. That might have thwarted Reflect so I have more trials to run.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version