ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Clipboard Help+Spell

CHS Icon Disappears from System Tray

<< < (2/4) > >>

IainB:
The description for RE says it works on Windows 7. Did you try it on Windows XP?
-flowergardener (February 14, 2017, 05:03 PM)
--- End quote ---
No, I only used RE on Win7-64 and above.
All RE does is kill the explorer.exe process and then restarts it.
That is the same process in XP too, as I recall, so I would assume that RE could work.
I'd suggest you suck it and see (try it out). It will either work or it won't.    :)

flowergardener:
I found that CHS is indeed running in the background and will respond to <CTRL><ALT><M> and opening the main menu. But having the icon showing allows more options for using CHS.

There is a script from Kelly's File which appears to do the same thing that RE does. It modifies the registry then restarts Explorer. The Kelly File has been taken down but there is a web site that has recorded everything that used to be there.

IainB:
@flowergardener: What you write above is interesting, but did RE work for you in XP?

I'm not sure what "the script in Kelly's file" refers to, but. as i wrote above:
There are various other ways to force Explorer to restart, but some of them don't necessarily get priority and so a wait/delay ensues once you start to execute them. However, I found that RE would consistently take priority, shut down Explorer and restart it quite expeditiously - and the Systray icons would all come back tickety-boo. So it's brutal and effective.
-IainB (February 14, 2017, 01:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

IainB:
I found that CHS is indeed running in the background and will respond to <CTRL><ALT><M> and opening the main menu. But having the icon showing allows more options for using CHS.
-flowergardener (February 15, 2017, 01:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

There is a way to see all the processes that are running, by invoking the Windows Task Manager.
In XP, I think pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc(ape) keys all together at the same time (that is the hotkey combination) will pop up the Task Manager window, which lists all the processes currently running. The processes can be sorted into different orders by clicking on the various column headings.

The user can control those processes from that window, so take care - the processes can be "killed" (terminated) from that window. That is also one way to manually kill explorer.exe and restart it, but it's a bit slow to do it manually, which is why I prefer to use RE instead. RE does the same thing but is very fast by comparison.

Right-clicking the CHS icon in the Systray is quite different - it activates the CHS application menu.

mateek:
I'm having the same problem on a Windows 10, 64bit, Intel Xeon E3, lots of memory, Clipboard Help+Spell is up to date.  When I start CH+S I see a flash on the screen and the icon shows for half a second in the tray and then vanishes.  After, I see it in the Task Manager running as 32bit. I tried <CTRL><ALT><M> as flowergardener suggested and my KatMouse icon reappeared, but not CH+S. 

Is <CTRL><ALT><M> meant to bring back all missing icons in the tray or is that a specific key for CH+S?  I don't use hotkeys at all and usually disable them when I remember. 

I looked in KatMouse for the hotkey settings to disable, and potentially solve a conflict, but there are no hotkey settings.  I have already tried a restart, but went to try "Restart Explorer by Lee Whittington - it's part of Ultimate Windows Customizer" suggested by IainB but it says it won't run on Windows 10 Pro after I install.

SOLVED!!!: I opened up CH+S on my laptop, saw the hotkey for Show/Hide CHS Window is <CTRL><ALT><W>.  CH+S popped right up.  Hope this helps someone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version