ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

myactivity.google

<< < (2/2)

4wd:

You don't run a firewall on your Android devices?

Anything that I'm sure doesn't require net access to function doesn't get it - this includes a clock.
-4wd (March 07, 2017, 10:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

NTP is a good reason for a clock to access the internet...is it not?  But I agree on the general gist.-Shades (March 07, 2017, 11:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's set to get the time from the mobile providers signal, it doesn't need NTP access to set the time on the phone - it's how it's worked since before smart phones were available.

If it were the other way around you would never have the correct time if you were international roaming, (unless you're rich and can afford global roaming data charges :-\).

Plus the service for accessing the time servers (NTP) is separate (I can individually block it in the firewall), the clock gets the time from the system, there's no real reason for it to be accessing the Internet.

Deozaan:
NTP is a good reason for a clock to access the internet...is it not?  But I agree on the general gist.
-Shades (March 07, 2017, 11:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm talking about the Clock app, which allows you to set alarms, see the current time in different time zones, have cooking (countdown) timers, as well as sports (count up) timers. All of those features should run on the local system time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version