ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Help! My Firefox has lost Bookmarks Menu + the bookmarks!

(1/3) > >>

Curt:
I was trying Abelssoft AntiBrowserSpy, but got distracted from what I was doing. So when a corner of my brain said "Click Close!", my hand clicked "OK"! Sad story made short: When I reopened my Firefox 47.02 my Bookmarks > Bookmarks Menu was gone - and all the bookmarks are "empty"; they will tell the name of the Internet shortcut, but not the Internet address!!

The cripled, useless Bookmarks Menu is present in the left sidebar, and under Titelbar > Bookmarks > Show all bookmarks > Library:

but it is no longer to be found, where I am used to find it: under Bookmarks in the titelbar - like a normal old timer roll-down menu. But it isn't there:

^ it's completely gone! How on earth can that be?  :tellme:

I have of course tried this and that. Uninstalled and reinstalled several different versions of Firefox and removed and reinstalled AntiBrowserSpy. Searched my PC for bookmarks for Firefox. Nothing. Is Bookmarks Menu even a normal part of Firefox > Titelbar > Bookmarks or was it just something that I had from an extension, maybe?   :-\  Do 'you' have Bookmarks Menu?

---

Regarding Abelssoft AntiBrowserSpy: In all fairness I should say that a new version was launched just today, but my license literally ran out yesterday, which was why I was testing the spy in the first place.

antekgla:
You could try this:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/restore-bookmarks-from-backup-or-move-them#w_restoring-from-backups

MilesAhead:
Curt, do you use Restore Points?  Depending on your version and level of Windows you may have a copy of the bookmarks as Previous Versions of Files.  If you do not wish to use a Restore Point and want to selectively restore the Bookmarks files you could try the free program Shadow Explorer.

The Gui is similar to an undelete program.  The files from existing Restore Points are in a dropdown labeled by date.  Select the folder or file you want and recover it to a different drive or partition.  When you are sure it is the right one, copy it over the existing corrupted profile folder or bookmark file.

It has saved my bacon a few times.  :)

Curt:
Thank you, antekgla
Firefox's internal restore files were completely missing, except for the one from today.

Thank you, MilesAhead
I always use restore points, when I install (via Revo Pro)

but ... oops! Windows said half an hour ago that it had found an error in my disk, would I like to restart Windows, so the error could be fixed? Yes, please, I would like that, I said. What's that you're talking about, it said: Restore Points? No, you don't have any of such a thing. Not even one!

It looks as if I am in the market for new computer. Now!

Shades:
Sounds like your hard disk is developing problems. So that will be the only thing you will need to change in your computer. A lot cheaper than a new PC. Unless you are fed up with your current computer, that is what would do. Actually, replace it with an SSD model and you will come to the conclusion your old(ish?) computer still has a lot of life in it. I did the same with my 9 year old system and is now more than adequate for the simple tasks I assign to it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version