ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

Protocol links?

<< < (4/5) > >>

aloishammer:
That is a link to the API.  It also is not restricted to those that use steamworks, indeed, I already have an API key for it.  It gives a lot of information that would be readily obtainable from their queries- just not the users local information, i.e. the groups or what's installed on their computer.  So your assessment would seem a bit unfair.
-wraith808 (January 20, 2017, 06:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
Er... what I said is that Steamworks is an API for the Steam service, but not for the Steam client.

IoW, you can use Steamworks to get information about one's Steam account, but that's entirely different from one's local install of the Steam client.

(I also said, I thought, that the access they provide to developers is reputed to be quite good.)

Giving a Steamworks partner programmatic access to local installations of either Steam or games is, so far as I know, completely unnecessary for anything compiled against the Steamworks APIs; and it might even be dangerous in terms of assisting someone in either breaking the Steamworks DRM or in assisting multiplayer cheating. At any rate, if the decision were up to me, I most likely wouldn't risk it.

aloishammer:
I'm willing to learn PowerShell if it ever gets really mature, but, at the moment, it's just impressing me with the fact that it can be insanely buggy when you need core features to work.
-aloishammer (January 20, 2017, 06:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Again, seemingly quite unfair.  I use it, and it, from my perspective of a daily user, is quite stable if you know what you're doing, and use the constructs as they're intended.  Many people want it to be a replacement for bash and such, and that, it's admittedly not.  So when you use it under those assumptions, yes, it might not operate in the way that you'd want it to.  Sort of like using a screwdriver to drive a nail, or a hammer for a screw.
-wraith808 (January 20, 2017, 06:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'm not being intentionally unfair. I'm relating my own experience, just as you did above.

...And my experience is that, when doing very little with PowerShell—with the latest WMF 5.x installed, by the way—on 7SP1 systems in good order, PowerShell [or system components it requires?] in some cases can't even connect to the Internet... which is what's evident in the link I provided. I'm not using a third-party firewall, and there are no Windows Firewall rules preventing it. (Or else Windows Firewall is completely failing to log the fact.) Also, it's the only thing failing... to connect to the Internet, or failing in any other way.

I haven't made even minor alterations to the PowerShell package providers, either; this came up while I was trying to install something from the PowerShell gallery that apparently requires NuGet 2.something.specific installed as one. I've done nothing to the PS environment as a whole, other than occasionally upgrade the revision of WMF installed, using only Microsoft's official installers.

My working theory is that perhaps something went badly wrong over the last couple years when upgrading from WMF 3.x to 4.x to 5.x, but that would be in Microsoft's hands; not mine. I have no way to test this theory, and the failures aren't generating (useful) logs in any place that I can find. It may not be resolved until I wipe and replace my clean 7SP1 installs with clean 10 ones.

Certainly, the only information I can find amounts to "It must be a proxy failure." I don't use one. Nothing is configured to use one. Nothing has gotten misconfigured by a "stray PAC script" to use one.

Finally, I'm not somehow misusing PowerShell in some bash-drunken fashion. I already explained that I'm having trouble getting a three-line script to work reliably. Not "at all"; sometimes, it fails on login. Mostly, it doesn't. There's no reason I can find that it should mostly work, but not always.

If you're going to make assumptions, please make them on the basis that I've administrated both Windows and UNIX systems for about twenty years, both professionally and personally. If I meant to say that I hate Windows, I'd say that. I haven't even said that I hate PowerShell.

Please also don't cherry-pick what I'm saying. I've been writing long-form responses on the assumption you'll grant me the courtesy of reading and replying to them in their entirety.

wraith808:
I'll just back out of trying to help in this thread.  I've not been cherry picking, I'm quoting the relevant part instead of a whole bit to reply to, and to be accused of such... well, let's just leave it there.

aloishammer:
I'll just back out of trying to help in this thread.  I've not been cherry picking, I'm quoting the relevant part instead of a whole bit to reply to, and to be accused of such... well, let's just leave it there.
-wraith808 (January 20, 2017, 07:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
I apologize. That was overly harsh, yes.

Nod5:
I appreciate it, but I don't have and don't expect to acquire any skill in AHK scripting, so I can't maintain it on my own.
-aloishammer (January 20, 2017, 06:08 PM)
--- End quote ---
No skill needed. Save script, add paths, install autohotkey and copy script shortcut to Windows Startup folder. Then the links will be up to date on each boot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version