ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

Protocol links?

<< < (2/5) > >>

aloishammer:
You'll have to use the program to create the links, and put them into the folder.  Then, update the search folders setting to point to whatever folder you store the resulting links in.  It's not a FARR plugin, but rather something that creates true links out of steam links.  Then you can put them anywhere, and they act as normal links, i.e. findable by FARR.
-wraith808 (January 15, 2017, 06:55 PM)
--- End quote ---
OH! Okay, so the .dcupdate file is just a little extra to help keep the program up to date, and it doesn't serve any other function?

Has anyone come up with a clever way to maintain cloned links? Delete and create them as Steam games are added and removed? I've been looking at the possibility of doing this with Task Scheduler, and it looks a lot like I'd have to learn PowerShell scripting or else buy some sort of tool to monitor directories for changes...

wraith808:
You'll have to use the program to create the links, and put them into the folder.  Then, update the search folders setting to point to whatever folder you store the resulting links in.  It's not a FARR plugin, but rather something that creates true links out of steam links.  Then you can put them anywhere, and they act as normal links, i.e. findable by FARR.
-wraith808 (January 15, 2017, 06:55 PM)
--- End quote ---
OH! Okay, so the .dcupdate file is just a little extra to help keep the program up to date, and it doesn't serve any other function?

Has anyone come up with a clever way to maintain cloned links? Delete and create them as Steam games are added and removed? I've been looking at the possibility of doing this with Task Scheduler, and it looks a lot like I'd have to learn PowerShell scripting or else buy some sort of tool to monitor directories for changes...
-aloishammer (January 15, 2017, 08:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

That is correct. :)  And I've not heard anything automatic to do that.

Nod5:
The special steam desktop shortcuts have this url format

--- ---steam://rungameid/341800
In the folder \steam\steamapps\ there are .acf files like this one

--- ---\steam\steamapps\appmanifest_341800.acf
The number in the file name is the same as in the desktop shortcut url. And the .acf is a plaintext file that includes the same number and the full game name. For example

--- ---"AppState"
{
"appid" "341800"
"Universe" "1"
"name" "Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes"

So this autohotkey script should generate up to date shortcuts.

--- Code: Autohotkey ---#singleinstance, force;SteamLinker;Creates one .url link file for each currently installed steam game;Setup: add full path to steam root folder and an output folder to save the .url files;For example C:\steam\  and C:\foldersteamdir = outdir = If !FileExist(steamdir) or !FileExist(outdir) exitappLoop, files, %steamdir%\steamapps\*.acf{FileReadLine, idline, %A_LoopFileFullPath% , 3FileReadLine, nameline, %A_LoopFileFullPath% , 5StringSplit, id, idline, "StringSplit, name, nameline, "IniWrite, steam://rungameid/%id4%, %outdir%\%name4%.url, InternetShortcut, URL}
Stuff that could be added: check names for forbidden characters, autoremove shortcuts when games are uninstalled

wraith808:
This app already does that work, though.

aloishammer:
This app already does that work, though.
-wraith808 (January 20, 2017, 01:15 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yup, seems to work fine. Since the generated shortcuts call STEAM.EXE instead of a game binary, it also takes care of any questions I might have had about preserving (finding?) custom launch options or anything else that Steam already manages.

My only remaining question was about creating or deleting shortcuts as games are bought / refunded / installed / uninstalled. Since no one seems to have done that sort of work, I'll look into finding a way to automate it myself.

(Well, that, and it would be great if someone had devised a way to automate finding better (256x256px min) Windows icons for Steam games... a lot of games... but I'm a perfectionist. That's a whole separate question and a whole other realm of complexity. Truth be told, I'm more worried about whether work on Gamesave Manager 4.x ever finishes.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version