ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

how to learn finance

(1/7) > >>

kalos:
Hello!

Can you tell me please an introductory book that will cover things like:

debt and equity markets
fixed income
securities
derivatives
etc?

I have no idea what these terms mean and I don't want to just google them, because I want to have a complete introduction, instead of sporadic dictionary searches

thanks!

rgdot:
As close as completeness you can come if online by yourself ...your best bet would be MIT

https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/find-by-topic/#cat=business&subcat=finance

kalos:
very interesting, I will certainly do them, but any book(s) to carry with me?
not irrelevant finance, I want to learn about securities, derivatives, private equities, etc, not sure which branch is that

rgdot:
You have to choose one or more of those and get info about books and other material by clicking 'Readings' for example, like this one https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/sloan-school-of-management/15-401-finance-theory-i-fall-2008/
I doubt you will get good book recommendations on that subject here on DC

IainB:
@kalos: Here are some inks to such terms:

* debt and equity markets - link.
* fixed income - link.
* securities - link.
* derivatives - link.They are just that - i.e., terminology.
Follow the links, and, once you understand the definition of the terms (in the context of "finance"), you will be able to find quite a lot of information about that specific definition, on Internet searches. Beware of web sites wanting you to trade in any obscure financial markets - e.g., binary options trading (discussed elsewhere on DC forum) or futures trading. You can lose all your money and be made bankrupt pretty quick with those. They are just for speculative trading ("speculative" here is used as a euphemism for "gambling").

Self-education on these financial terms and their use can be obtained from reading books (e.g., a book on accountancy and finance from a second-hand bookshop, which latter tend to have lots of perfectly good old textbooks on such subjects), or visiting free course links as suggested by @rgdot. Don't sign up for a paid course though, as that will probably lead to their signing you up for a speculative trading account and could introduce you to the full meaning of the financial term "bankrupt". Take care.

For example, I know of a Dutch guy - an economist with a PhD in economics and who lectured in economics - who apparently bankrupted himself in about 1988 by "going long" on a futures trade, on a "You can't fail with this stock" transaction.    :o
Not sure whether he ever recovered, financially or personally. It completely ruined (stopped) his imminent marriage as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version