topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 23, 2024, 7:52 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Free static code analyzer for opensource projects  (Read 3182 times)

el_programmer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Free static code analyzer for opensource projects
« on: January 19, 2017, 03:02 AM »
Hello!

bg-pvs-unicorn (1).pngFree static code analyzer for opensource projects

We are glad to inform that now PVS-Studio static code analyzer, which has been paid until recently, has a free license that can be used under certain conditions for educational purposes, so that individual developers and enthusiastic teams could also fully use it.

PVS-Studio is a tool for bug detection in the source code of programs, written in C, C++ and C#. It works in Windows and Linux environment. We want to help the software world improve the quality of their code, and get to know static analysis tools better. With a wide range of code inspections and detailed documentation, PVS-Studio can be a great assistant to the programmer in the fight against bugs.

For more information about how to install the free version can be found in the article http://www.viva64.com/en/b/0457/

If you still have any questions, please write me an email [email protected]. I am happy to answer them.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Free static code analyzer for opensource projects
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 04:27 AM »
I think it's great that you are trying to make your software available to individual developers and open-source projects :Thmbsup:.

I saw the announcement about a month ago, and if you do not mind I'll try to explain why I chose not to use your offer.

Much of what I write is (open-source) libraries, which other people hopefully will be able to include in their projects. While I might not mind adding a blurb to the README saying "This project uses so-and-so to provide this-and-that (link)", I do not wish to put advertisement in every single source file, thereby forcing it on my users.

I can see your point about using the advertisement comments as a means to deter large companies from using the free version for their open-source projects, but that also means that they would be less likely to use other peoples open-source projects that did include it. So I would potentially be limiting my user base.

Now I am certain this works great for most people, and if for instance you are developing an application it's great that you are not forcing advertisement into the compiled binary in any way. So thanks for doing this.