ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Coding Snacks

Drop file to rename it according to list of names

<< < (3/4) > >>

kilele:
Thanks tomos for let me know about Oscar's Renamer.
Yes, definitively you have to rearrange cells on the spreadsheet before pasting into the renamer's text editor.
Do you know some way to drag a file from winexplorer and drop it to some spreadsheet program or text editor so the file name be pasted? msexcel does not allow to do such drag&drop

kilele:
Hi Tomos. How about using Skwire's "Text 2 Folders" ? this app will make folders out of the column with new names, then I will drop one by one the files on each folder, finally I need some script to rename files with their folder name. I think this will soothe somewhat my pains  ;D

tomos:
Do you know some way to drag a file from winexplorer and drop it to some spreadsheet program or text editor so the file name be pasted? msexcel does not allow to do such drag&drop
-kilele (December 22, 2016, 08:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

I used my file manager (Dopus) to copy the filenames. Other file-managers can do this too, e.g. XYplorer.

Note: for me it was also worth my time doing it in spreadsheet, because I needed to keep a record of old vs. new names.

rjbull:
Does it have to be drag and drop?  Wouldn't a batch file be better from the point of view of automation?  At its simplest, you'd just have a series of lines like

if exist abc123.xyz ren abc123.xyz widgets_report.txt

and you could add in refinements like moving the file to a different location, making a backup and renaming it using something like BRC (the command-line version of BRU (Bulk Rename Utility), and triggering the whole thing automatically using one of the various folder-watching utilities, e.g. perhaps NewFileGo to name a recent free one (that admittedly I haven't tried).

kilele:
@rjbull
I wanted to avoid typing by hand hence the drag&drop approach
Folders' names may be formed with delimiters to keep old information. These separators can be used later by any renamer to remove unwanted info

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version