ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Coding Snacks

Drop file to rename it according to list of names

<< < (2/4) > >>

tomos:
I can't see in Oscar´s Renamer how to rearrange files on the left panel to match the text lines from the right panel.
-kilele (December 22, 2016, 06:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

I did it in a spreadsheet first...

kilele:
I can't see in Oscar´s Renamer how to rearrange files on the left panel to match the text lines from the right panel.
-kilele (December 22, 2016, 06:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

I did it in a spreadsheet first...
-tomos (December 22, 2016, 07:03 AM)
--- End quote ---
How did you did it?
I can make a csv out of the files folder to get all current names. Then I paste the csv column next to the column with new names. How can I match them correctly? Can you share some good tip?

tomos:
^ okay,
let me see:
first I need the filenames, old and new correctly synced in spreadsheet

the second column are the current names,
I'm going to revert back to the previous naming system here.
Following does require having just the relevant files in a folder.

open Renamer,
select relevant folder - a doubled list shows in the main pane:
renaming is in the right column, so select that list

(I've reduced the tree pane on the left for the screenshot)

Copy relevant cells from your spreadsheet, and paste in Renamer (might be best to paste in text editor first and then copy again ensuring you have exactly the correct number of lines):

I think it was then:
menu: File > Apply changes to folder

Hope that works for you -- I did have to mess around a bit, but was doing it 'cold' :D

kilele:
@tomos fine what you explain, i can paste the new names on the right column but how to sort them to match the left column, by hand doing ctrl+x ctrl+v inside the textbox ? I'd rather a way to avoid this kind of manual process.. afaik there's no way to sort files of the left panel of Oscar's Renamer nor a way to rearrange its listbox elements to match the lines of text

tomos:
Yeah, things do need to be sorted in spreadsheet first: you need to have the correct names in the correct columns -
i.e.
A | B
C | D
where B & D are new names for A & C.
I sorted then by actual names in spreadsheet, then copied the new names (G00, etc. in example above) for pasting into renamer. I did not have to do any messing around in Renamer then. Might not be suitable for your needs, but was worth it for me.

So yeah, you need to do that work in advance.
Otherwise in Renamer, you can paste into or edit individual lines -- but I didnt use that capability myself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version