ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > ProcessTamer

Process Tamer - New 2.14 Beta (win32 AND x64 version) - Feedback wanted

<< < (4/7) > >>

mouser:
Uploaded latest beta version (v2.14) with x64 support:

New unified win32 and x64 setup beta:

* https://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/proctamer/downloads/beta/ProcessTamerSetup.exe
Or if you prefer portable version:

* x64 version: https://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/proctamer/downloads/beta/ProcessTamerPortable64.zip
* and win32 version: https://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/proctamer/downloads/beta/ProcessTamerPortable32.zip

mouser:
Note: This latest new version will install into \Program Files\ on x64 machines, instead of \Program Files (x86)\ as the older version did, so you should uninstall old version if you are installing new on an x64 machine.
Your settings should still carry over.

IainB:
My previous feedback was regarding x64 ProcessTamer v2.13.01 (per "About"), comprising:

* ProcessTamerConfigurator.exe (is v2.13.1.0)
* ProcessTamerTray.exe (is v2.0.10.1)
This latest version is x64 ProcessTamer v2.14.01 (per "About"), comprising:
ProcessTamerConfigurator.exe (is v2.14.1.0)
ProcessTamerTray.exe (is v2.0.14.1)

All seems to work fine - really well - as per my earlier notes/review for v2.13.01, but I shall report anything new that occurs.

I did have a few very odd problems earlier - after doing the test DPI change up to 125% and then back to 100% (because at 125% it was useless for my purposes).
Notes on these problems:

* Though I had not made any changes to the sound system, the sound disappeared and Windows Audio service seemed to be stuck in "Stop pending". Could not be fixed and persisted across COLD re-boots of the system.
* CHS (ClipboardHelp&Spell) persistently and frequently hung without error message and had to be terminated via ProcessHacker. Every time CHS was shut down like that, it would not restart (or would hang soon after restart) if PT (ProcessTamer) was running, so PT had to be closed first, then CHS restarted, then PT started. Rinse and repeat. I guess this was because I had set PT to force the CHS process HIGH, so PT had some residual hooks, or something, into that process. This fun also persisted across COLD re-boots of the system.
* I fixed it all quite by chance after some trial-and-error. What eventually worked was uninstalling the sound card (which thought it was functioning properly), and doing a COLD re-boot. After re-boot, the sound card came up as present OK but was disabled and could not be enabled. It only worked normally after I did a second COLD re-boot. After that CHS also seemed to work fine and simultaneously with PT, as it should have and had done previously.
All that took a couple of hours (elapsed time) of mucking about, making me regret that I had ever tried changing the DPI settings in the first place. So be warned.    :down:

mouser:
Thanks for the report, Iain.  :up:

IainB:
This feedback is for ProcessTamer v2.14.01 x64 (per "About"), comprising:

* ProcessTamerConfigurator.exe (is v2.14.1.0)
* ProcessTamerTray.exe (is v2.0.14.1)
Since my previous feedback of 2017-03-30, PT has been running pretty much continuously on my laptop. In that time, as far as I am aware, PT has been running perfectly and doing exactly what is expected of it (I have it set so that it pops up an alert each time it does something), though I have not tested the full functionality of the software.

It is a real pleasure to have PT back from the grave, up and running so nicely on my laptop. It's like the return of the prodigal son. In future, I might need to shut PT down under certain circumstances that I am yet to experience, but until then it will probably usually be constantly "ON" after boot-up, though I have not tested it yet as "Start with Windows", preferring so far to start it manually after boot-up, so as to avoid potential conflict at boot-up time.

By the way, I have a workaround for the "Configuration saves" requirement I mentioned above: I save different versions of ProcessTamer.ini and manually load/rename the one I want, prior to starting-up PT. I will probably automate this using AHK when I settle on the best approach for me. Either way, it's a kludge, but it does/will work.

Related question: Is it possible to run PT with a parameter that tells it the filename of the .ini file to use, or is the filename ProcessTamer.ini fixed as the default?    :tellme:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version