ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Malwarebytes 3.0 out

<< < (9/10) > >>

4wd:
4wd, wondering what the exact number of the file you installed was?-tomos (October 06, 2017, 03:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

The current version: 3.2.2.2029

Malwarebytes 3.0 out

You won't have any problem if you're not running %TEMP% on a RAM drive.  I haven't installed it because I'd have to move %TEMP% back to C: for any program update that came along, I'd rather wait until they fix the problem.

In all the years I've run %TEMP% on a RAM drive, this is the only program that's had a problem with it.

4wd:
MBAM 3.3.1.2183 - new version, same problem.

Really don't understand the problem here, they're using Inno Setup as the installer, same as other programs I've installed without a problem, (eg. DisplayFusion latest) ... same version of Inno Setup too.

IainB:
Finally figured out how to sort this problem in my case:

* I was using ImDisk Virtual Disk Driver. It's really very handy/flexible in that the \TEMP setting can be changed dynamically from (say) R:\TEMP (on the RAMdrive) to C:\TEMP, and then back again, as necessary. I used to switch it like this as a workaround for the installer script for GDU (Google Drive Update). The GDU script consistently failed if \TEMP was in a RAMdrive, and worked OK if \TEMP was in C:

* But apparently this isn't enough for the MBAM (Malwarebytes) installer. To get the installer to run, the RAMdrive has to be disabled at Autostart, and then the PC rebooted, so it comes up with C:\TEMP at startup. Then the MBAM installer seems to work OK. I found this out by trial-and-error. I guess the system retains some pointers to the RAMdrive, even if the \TEMP setting has been re-pointed to C: - so it's a bit of a flaky installer if it can't adapt to there being a RAMdrive.

Note that, once the MBAM update has been successfully installed, the \TEMP in RAMdrive can be reinstated at system startup, as normal, and MBAM seems to work fine with that. So it seems to be just the MBAM installer that has a problem with \TEMP being in a RAMdrive. The updated MBAM seems to works just fine with \TEMP being in a RAMdrive.

4wd:
I know this, the problem is you'll have to do it for every program update, probably even incremental, since it most likely uses the same installer the same way.

It would be better if they fixed the problem.

IainB:
I know this, the problem is you'll have to do it for every program update, probably even incremental, since it most likely uses the same installer the same way.
It would be better if they fixed the problem.
-4wd (November 12, 2017, 06:43 PM)
--- End quote ---
Oh yes, absolutely. You will probably be proven right by events.
Just my opinion, mind, and not really relevant, but I feel obliged to mention that I generally feel nothing but disgust for developers who decide to leave things to remain in some sort of bad shape for the hapless users to sort out. Ultimately, such decisions tend to backfire on the authors. One does not easily forget.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version